23 October, 2014 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile





mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 10/22/2004
china
Death toll rises in Chinese coal mine explosion
Safety standards are ignored in the pursuit of profits. In the first nine months of this year, 4,153 miners were killed.

Beijing (AsiaNews/Agencies) - The death toll in a gas explosion in a Chinese coal mine rose to 64 on Friday and chances that 84 missing miners might still be alive were "quite slim," the government said. The blast ripped through the Daping Mine on Wednesday when 446 miners were at work, according to the government. It said 298 escaped alive.

By Friday morning, there were no reports that any survivors had been found by the 1,000-member rescue force. Most of the dead miners whose bodies had been found so far were suffocated by the toxic gas (methane) that spewed from the coal bed and ignited, state media reported. The gas density in the mine's atmosphere shot up from 2 percent to 40 percent in less than three minutes, Xinhua said.

The state-owned Daping Mine employs 4,100 people and is located in Xinmi city, on the Songshan Mountains, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) southwest of the major industrial city of Zhengzhou (Henan).

President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao instructed local authorities to spare no efforts in the rescue operations. Secretary-General of the State Council, Hua Jianmin , arrived in Xinmi yesterday to help direct the rescue operation.  An investigation into the cause of the accident has been launched.

"This accident is the most serious in recent years," the deputy director of the State Administration of Work Safety, Sun Huashan , said in Beijing yesterday.  "The lethal accident exposed a considerable number of safety loopholes in the mining industry"  he added.

Soaring demand for energy on the mainland and pursuit of profits by coal producers are to blame for lax safety standards and a rise in fatal accidents at coal mines. Many coal mines would rather not contribute a portion of their revenue to shore up safety systems

The death toll in China's small private mines translates into 12 fatalities for every million tonnes of coal produced, while in state-run mines the fatality rate is one miner for every million tonnes. In the United States, the rate is 0.03.

China's produced 1.6 billion tonnes of coal last year, making it the world's biggest producer.

Official statistics show more than 4,800 miners were killed in mining-related accidents last year. In the first nine months of this year, 4,153 miners were killed.  Most workers in private and state-run mines were poor migrant farmers with little sense of safety.

e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
12/03/2004 CHINA – EUROPEAN UNION
Arms sales ban at the centre of China-EU talks
12/15/2004 CHINA – EUROPEAN UNION
China wants new defence technologies from the EU
12/08/2004 EUROPEAN UNION– CHINA
The EU does not lift the arms embargo
11/04/2004 CHINA
Riots provide bleak picture of society's ills
02/25/2005 CHINA
The inexorable slaughter of Chinese miners: An overview
CHINA
Mine explosion kills 65
CHINA
China mine gas blast kills 21
CHINA
Death toll from mine accidents rises to 51
CHINA
At least eight dead and 30 trapped in two Chinese mines
CHINA
Coal mining death toll rises by 20pc
CHINA
Coal mine explosions kill 60 in Shanxi
CHINA
Coal mine explosion in northern China traps 29 workers
CHINA
Explosion in Shanxi: at least 20 schoolchildren dead
CHINA
Chinese Catholics to help mining victims
CHINA
The inexorable slaughter of Chinese miners: An overview
CHINA
In two days 220 men die in mining accidents
CHINA
At least 203 killed in Liaoning coal mine blast
CHINA
Sichuan: mine explosion kills 14, injures 3
CHINA
Hunan: 4 dead, 16 missing in mine disaster
CHINA
Shanxi: Thirty-three dead in mine blast
china
China sees no alternative to the vicious circle of mining and deaths
CHINA
Death toll at mine blast rises to 166
CHINA
Coal mine explosion: an announced tragedy
CHINA
Shaanxi: no chance of survival for 141 trapped miners
china
Up to 20,000 miners die every year to meet China roaring coal demand
CHINA
49 killed in mine fire disaster, 11 reported missing
CHINA
Explosion in Chinese coal mine kills at least 56
CHINA
Coal miners condemned to death
china
Mine explosion: 15 dead

Editor's choices
IRAQ - ITALY
Almost 700,000 euros raised as the 'Adopt a Christian from Mosul' campaign continues
by Bernardo CervelleraA second instalment is sent with funds raised in September. The fate of East-West relations is being played out in the Middle East and Iraq. Pope Francis and the Synod issue an appeal. Governments are lukewarm. Aid is coming from around the world. A new international community is defeating the "globalisation of indifference."
IRAQ-VATICAN
"Adopt a Christian from Mosul": Archbishops’ thanks as first aid arrives
by Amel NonaMsgr. Amel Nona, the Chaldean Archbishop of Mosul, who is also a refugee himself, thanks all the donors to the AsiaNews campaign. The situation is increasingly difficult given the huge number of refugees and the arrival of winter and snow, making outdoor shelters and tents impossible. The crisis, an occasion that activates the faith of Christians.
ITALY - IRAQ
After raising € 350,000, 'Adopt a Christian from Mosul' campaign continues
by Bernardo CervelleraDonations raised up to 31 August have been sent to the patriarch of Baghdad and the bishops of Kurdistan. The campaign helps to feed, house, clothe, and bring comfort to more than 150,000 Christian, Yazidi, Turkmen, Shia and Sunni refugees who fled the violence of the army of the Islamic Caliphate. People in Italy and around the world have been generous, including the poor and the unemployed, a sign of hope for the world as well as those who suffer and those who give.

Dossier

by Giulio Aleni / (a cura di) Gianni Criveller
pp. 176
Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.