26 September 2016
AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook
Geographic areas




  • > Africa
  • > Central Asia
  • > Europe
  • > Middle East
  • > Nord America
  • > North Asia
  • > South Asia
  • > South East Asia
  • > South West Asia
  • > Sud America
  • > East Asia

  • mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato


    » 11/15/2006, 00.00

    INDONESIA

    Men involved in the decapitation of three Christian schoolgirls go on trial in Jakarta

    Benteng Reges

    Two men involved in the triple murder in Poso (Central Sulawesi) in 2005 go on trial. Both risk the death penalty. In a separate trial, the other defendant admits his guilt and names the man behind the killing, a former Muslim rebel from a Mindanao.

    Jakarta (AsiaNews) – A second trial involving men accused of decapitating three Christian school girls in Poso (Central  Sulawesi) last year opened today Jakarta. The two defendants, Lilik Purnomo and Irwanto Irano, both risk the death penalty if found guilty. In the indictment they are charged with "wilfully participating in a terrorist act using violence to sow terror and fear in people".

    The two men, both 28, belong to a group called Tanah Runtuh, whose leader, Hasanuddin, is on trial for the same crime. He has pleaded guilty.

    On October 29, 2005, four Christian schoolgirls, all around 15 years of age, were walking home. Three were assaulted and beheaded by men using machetes near the Gebang Rejo area in Poso.

    The case repulsed public opinion. Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono denounced the triple murder; Pope Benedict XVI called it "a barbaric assassination".

    State Prosecutor Asep Sumaryono said today in court that both Irano and Purnomo were involved in the decapitations with other terrorists who are still on the run.

    In presenting the evidence, he described in details what happened. The two defendants were not the material executors of the crime but on orders from Hasanuddin they found the weapons needed to carry out the misdeed. With half a million rupees they went to a Poso market to buy the machetes and the plastic bags where the heads were placed.

    In his trail Hasanuddin meanwhile formally admitted that he organised the action, but contrary to the prosecutor's claim, said it was not his idea.

    According to the terrorists the idea of beheading three Christian schoolgirls belongs to Guru Sanusi. "He financed the operation and explained that he wanted to carry out killings like those he did when he was with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) in Mindanao".

    During the trial hearing, Hasanuddin asked the families of the victims for forgiveness and promised he would not do such actions again.

    He did never the less say that the attack against the three Christian schoolgirls was in retaliation for the many Muslims killed during the sectarian clashes that beset Poso in 1998-2001.

    In those years Muslims and Christians attacked each other killing about 2,000 people and forcing another 100,000 to become internal refugees.

    e-mail this to a friend Printable version










    See also

    21/03/2007 INDONESIA
    Lenient sentence for those who beheaded three Christian girls
    The three Islamist militants who masterminded and carried out the three murders in 2005 could have received the death penalty. Instead, they will spend between 14 and 20 years in prison. Hasanuddin, the brain behind the gruesome act, also wrote the notes left near the bodies in which he promised more Christian deaths.

    08/11/2006 INDONESIA
    Men who beheaded three Christian schoolgirls were preparing a hundred more decapitations in Sulawesi
    Hasanuddin, the first man to go on trial, masterminded the gruesome crime and now faces the death penalty. In addition to three schoolgirls, he ordered his men to behead at least a hundred Christians in Poso as an act of revenge for Muslims killed in the 1999-2001 sectarian violence.

    16/12/2005 INDONESIA
    Christians and Muslims in Sulawesi demand an independent inquiry into past violence
    Suspicions fall on local politicians, army officials and police officers hiding behind religious motives.

    11/05/2006 INDONESIA
    Seven men admit their role in the decapitation of Christian women in Poso
    Alleged terrorists in detention admit their role in the murder of three young women last year in Poso. Police is still looking for the mastermind.

    15/02/2006 INDONESIA
    Man detained in connection with beheading of Christian women
    Sahal Alamry is being interrogated for links to one of Indonesia's most wanted men, Noordin Top. He teaches at a school thought to be involved in the beheading of three Christian women in Poso.



    Editor's choices

    ASIANEWS SYMPOSIUM
    Mother Teresa, Mercy for Asia and for the world (VIDEO)



    We publish the video recordings of the presentations made at the international symposium organised by AsiaNews on 2 September. In order of appearance: Fr Ferruccio Brambillasca, PIME Superior General; Card Fernando Filoni, Prefect of the Congregation of Propaganda Fide; Sr Mary Prema, Superior General of the Missionaries of Charity; Father Brian Kolodiejchuk, postulator of the Cause of Mother Teresa; Card Oswald Gracias, archbishop of Mumbai; Fr John A. Worthley, on the influence of Mother Teresa in China; a witness to the influence of Mother Teresa in the Islamic world; and Mgr Paul Hinder, Apostolic Vicar of Southern Arabia.


    CHINA-VATICAN
    Beijing issues new, harsh draft regulations on religious activities

    Bernardo Cervellera

    Fines of up to 200 thousand yuan (27 thousand euro) for "illegal religious activities" by Catholic or other members of underground communities. "Illegal activities" include "dependence from abroad" (such as the relationship with the Vatican). The regulations preach non-discrimination, but party members are forbidden to practice their religion, even in private. Strict control of buildings, statues, crosses. Clampdown on the internet. It could be the end of the underground community.
     


    AsiaNews IS ALSO A MONTHLY!

    AsiaNews monthly magazine (in Italian) is free.
     

    SUBSCRIBE NOW

    News feed

    Canale RSScanale RSS 

    Add to Google









     

    IRAN 2016 Banner

    2003 © All rights reserved - AsiaNews C.F. e P.Iva: 00889190153 - GLACOM®