30 September 2016
AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook
Geographic areas




  • > Africa
  • > Central Asia
  • > Europe
  • > Middle East
  • > Nord America
  • > North Asia
  • > South Asia
  • > South East Asia
  • > South West Asia
  • > Sud America
  • > East Asia

  • mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato


    » 06/03/2004, 00.00

    CHINA - dossier TIENANMEN

    A mother's hope endures 15 years of disappointment



    Beijing (AsiaNews/SCMP) - Tiananmen mother Ding Zilin refuses to give up hope that the June 4 movement will be rehabilitated, even though it may not happen in her lifetime.

    After her son was killed 15 years ago during the military crackdown, Ms Ding - with relatives of other victims - formed the Tiananmen Mothers advocacy group. Its prime purpose is to call on the authorities to re-examine the official condemnation of the democracy movement.

    The mothers insist that even if the students may have been wrong in some of their methods, it was still a crime for the government to kill its own people.

    Ms Ding's group has so far documented the names of 182 people who were killed, providing firm evidence to disprove claims by some officials that the massacre did not happen.

    Ms Ding is now 67 and she has watched as time has taken its toll on her group.

    "Among the victims' families who signed petition letters [demanding rehabilitation] every year since 1995, 11 have passed away," she said.

    "My husband and I are not the oldest among the victims' families, but I am mentally prepared that I may not live to see that day" that June 4 is revisited, she said.

    That reality was brought home about a week ago when an official from the Ministry of State Security visited.

    "He told me that it is impossible for the present leadership to resolve the problem of June 4. He said he did not come to discuss the issue but to pass on the message."

    "Moreover, he told me that they were going to impose residential control over me," she said referring to a form of house arrest used by police to isolate people seen as troublemakers.

    Ms Ding said there had been hope the change of leadership that brought President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao to power would create a political climate where the Communist Party could right the wrong done 15 years ago, but the message she received meant such expectations were misplaced.

    "There are signs of backtracking. I have to say I feel sorry about the new leadership under Hu-Wen," she said.

    In March, Mr Wen defended the crackdown but did not call the student-led movement a "rebellion", as previous leaders have done, raising hopes that the leadership might take a more conciliatory position.

    The "residential control" measure was a slight surprise because Ms Ding was told three years ago by officials from the same department that they no longer wanted to restrict her movement.

    Last year, Ms Ding spent the period around the anniversary in her home town of Wuxi and therefore was not harassed by police.

    Despite the setbacks, Ms Ding remains optimistic.

    "I am not pessimistic. I am still hopeful. One day the truth will become clear," she said.

    "What is important is the process, and we have tried our best. Since we have already started, we cannot give up. We must press on because we have done no wrong."

    Ms Ding is convinced the Tiananmen Mothers took the correct path by advocating dialogue with the authorities to resolve the deadlock over June 4.

    "We insist that the National People's Congress should set up a special committee to investigate and make public the truth of June 4 and compensate victims as the laws require," she said.

    "And we want peaceful and rational dialogue [with the government] on equal basis, and I don't think we are asking for too much."

    Ms Ding said she could understand why many intellectuals and even activists who took part in the movement 15 years ago had now chosen to remain silent. And she was not surprised by the ignorance among young people regarding what happened 15 years ago.

    "Everybody has his own choice. If there is no suppression and  cover-up of the truth, people will act differently," she said.

     

    e-mail this to a friend Printable version










    See also

    29/05/2014 CHINA
    Tiananmen psychosis: at least 50 people missing, detained, interrogated
    Since April, the authorities have been carrying out arrests , kidnappings , interrogations in the municipalities of Beijing, Shanghai, Chongqing and the provinces of Guangdong, Guizhou, Henan, Shaanxi , Shandong and Zhejiang. Some of those arrested were mistreated and beaten. Denied a lawyer and forbidden medical care.

    03/06/2004 CHINA –DOSSIER TIANANMEN
    The Heritage of Tiananmen


    03/06/2004 CHINA - DOSSIER tiananmen
    Tiananmen: Beijing defends the massacre

    Rights groups pressure China to prosecute the guilty



    28/05/2014 CHINA
    Wei Jingsheng: The heroes of Tiananmen have awakened China
    The great dissident commemorates the 25th anniversary of the 4 June massacre: "The Party and certain intellectuals are shamelessly still trying to belittle those brave young men and women, who with their blood showed the people the truth about the regime and have unleashed a demand for freedom and that democracy will never be fettered".

    27/04/2010 CHINA
    With a growing economy, China becomes increasingly repressive
    In 2009, more and more people have been arrested, sent to “re-education” camps or “black jails” or subjected to internet censorship. As Chinese leaders feel more secure about the country’s growing economy and its international status, popular dissatisfaction grows, leading to clashes with police. Instead, human rights should be respected in order to build Hu Jintao’s “harmonious society”.



    Editor's choices

    ASIANEWS SYMPOSIUM
    Mother Teresa, Mercy for Asia and for the world (VIDEO)



    We publish the video recordings of the presentations made at the international symposium organised by AsiaNews on 2 September. In order of appearance: Fr Ferruccio Brambillasca, PIME Superior General; Card Fernando Filoni, Prefect of the Congregation of Propaganda Fide; Sr Mary Prema, Superior General of the Missionaries of Charity; Father Brian Kolodiejchuk, postulator of the Cause of Mother Teresa; Card Oswald Gracias, archbishop of Mumbai; Fr John A. Worthley, on the influence of Mother Teresa in China; a witness to the influence of Mother Teresa in the Islamic world; and Mgr Paul Hinder, Apostolic Vicar of Southern Arabia.


    CHINA-VATICAN
    Beijing issues new, harsh draft regulations on religious activities

    Bernardo Cervellera

    Fines of up to 200 thousand yuan (27 thousand euro) for "illegal religious activities" by Catholic or other members of underground communities. "Illegal activities" include "dependence from abroad" (such as the relationship with the Vatican). The regulations preach non-discrimination, but party members are forbidden to practice their religion, even in private. Strict control of buildings, statues, crosses. Clampdown on the internet. It could be the end of the underground community.
     


    AsiaNews IS ALSO A MONTHLY!

    AsiaNews monthly magazine (in Italian) is free.
     

    SUBSCRIBE NOW

    News feed

    Canale RSScanale RSS 

    Add to Google









     

    IRAN 2016 Banner

    2003 © All rights reserved - AsiaNews C.F. e P.Iva: 00889190153 - GLACOM®