2 September, 2014 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile





mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 09/20/2012
CHINA
Bo Xilai casts shadow on Wang Lijun's trial
by Wang Zhicheng
An account of the trial in Xinhua reveals that Wang Lijun told ex Chongqing party chief of suspicions about his wife, who killed businessman Neil Heywood, and is slapped for this. Bo could go on trial shortly. Party congress date not yet announced.

Beijing (AsiaNews) - For the first time in months, ex Chongqing party chief Bo Xilai (pictured left) appears linked with the murder of businessman Neil Heywood, killed by Bo's wife Gu Kailai in November of last year.

Xinhua published a detailed account of the recent trial against Wang Lijun (pictured right). The ex Chongqing police chief said he told Bo that his wife was under suspicion for the Heywood murder. Bo responded by slapping him in the face. Xinhua however did not mention Bo but identified him as the "main person responsible" for the Chongqing Communist party committee, which Bo headed.

That slap appears to have produced a change in Wang Lijun. Until then, he had covered up for Gu Kailai, and concealed the evidence of her role in the murder.

After the humiliating experience, he asked his colleagues to reopen the case and brought out the evidence, including the victim's blood, and all the signs of poisoning. He also produced Gu's confession, which he secretly recorded a day after the murder.

Fearing for his life, Wang sought political asylum in February at the US consulate in Chengdu. Eventually, Chinese police, which had surrounded the consulate, convinced him to surrender.

Mr Wang made allegations about Mr Heywood's death whilst at the US consulate. This led, shortly thereafter, to Mr Bo's resignation, and the trial against his wife and four police officers who covered up the murder.

Wang Lijun too was arrested and put on trial for, among various charges, dereliction of duty by seeking asylum in the consulate.

The Xinhua account repeatedly slammed him for causing a negative impact at home and abroad.

Gu Kailai was sentenced to death in August, but the sentence was suspended for two years. Four police agents were also tried in August. Wang's trial instead was held last Monday and Tuesday.

So far, Bo Xilai had not been linked to the affair in any of the trials. Once a princeling with aspirations for a position in the Politburo central committee, his saga, full of intrigue, corruption, sudden changes, betrayals and murder has caused one of the worse crises for China's Communist party, badly undermining its credibility.

Perhaps because of this crisis, the date of the upcoming party congress has not been announced yet. Major changes at the top are expected, but now that Bo's name has been indirectly linked to the affair, many expect him to be put on trial because, as Xinhua put it, the law applies to everybody.

Until recently, after his forced resignation as Chongqing party chief, Bo had been subjected to an internal inquiry for violating party discipline.


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
08/11/2012 CHINA
Chongqing Saga: Bo Xilai’s wife accepts murder charges
08/09/2012 CHINA
“Trial of the century" begins (and ends) against Gu Kailai
by Bernardo Cervellera
09/06/2012 CHINA
Charges laid against Wang Lijun. Again, no mention of Bo Xilai
by Wang Zhicheng
02/10/2012 CHINA
Bo Xilai’s deputy visits US consulate, jeopardising his admission to the politburo
09/24/2012 CHINA
Wang Lijun sentenced to 15 years. Now it may be Bo Xilai’s turn
by Wang Zhicheng

Editor's choices
IRAQ-ITALY
"Adopt a Christian from Mosul," the thanks of the Patriarch Louis Sako; the concerns of the Bishop of Kurdistan
by Bernardo CervelleraThe head of the Chaldean Church is grateful for the AsiaNews campaign and hopes that "this chain of solidarity will reach far and wide”. Helping refugees to remain in Iraq. But many want to flee abroad. The bishop of Amadiyah where thousands of displaced people have found haven in churches and homes: We also help the Arabs (Muslims), and Yazidis, for free and without looking at our confessional differences.
ITALY - IRAQ
"Adopt a Christian from Mosul" to respond directly to Iraq's emergencyAsiaNews is launching a fundraiser to support Christians targeted by the Islamic State, thus responding to a request by the Patriarch of Baghdad and Pope Francis's urgent appeal "to guarantee all necessary assistance - especially the most urgently needed aid - to the great multitude of people who have been driven from their homes, whose fate depends entirely on the solidarity of others." More than 100,000 people have been forced to flee their homes leaving everything behind and now have nothing to live on. To help them, five euros a day are enough. The funds raised will be sent to the Patriarchate of Baghdad, which will distribute them according to the needs of each family.
CHINA - VATICAN
Wenzhou bishop and priests slam government's campaign against crosses and churches in Zhejiang
by Eugenia ZhangFor Mgr Vincent Zhu Weifang, from the official Church, the campaign of destruction is increasing social instability. It is real persecution against the Christian faith. The bishop apologises for failing to intervene sooner. He was hoping that the campaign would end quickly. Catholics and Protestants suffer injuries as they attempt to defend their sacred buildings. For priests in Wenzhou, the campaign is unfair and touches buildings that have all the right papers. Such "stupid acts" by the government are undermining social harmony.

Dossier
by Giulio Aleni / (a cura di) Gianni Criveller
pp. 176
by Lazzarotto Angelo S.
pp. 528
by Bernardo Cervellera
pp. 240
Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.