2 September, 2014 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile





mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 06/27/2012
SYRIA
Damascus, attack on a pro-government television station, three dead
The assault happened in Drousha 20 km south of the capital. So far there are no claims of responsibility. Bashar al-Assad announces that Syria is at war. Government cabinet reshuffled. The priority is to fight and defeat the terrorists.

Damascus (AsiaNews / Agencies) - A group of armed men this morning stormed the headquarters of Ikhbariya TV, a private television station close to President Bashar Al-Assad, in Druousha located about 20 km south of Damascus. Three people were killed in the attack. An employee of the television station said that the men broke into the complex, taking guards hostage and later blew up two buildings. According to state news agency SANA, the attack was carried out by unidentified terrorists, but so far no group has claimed responsibility. For days clashes between rebels and troops of the elite of the Syrian regime have been taking place on the outskirts of Damascus, leaving 40 dead over the weekend, 116 across the country.

The recent tension between Ankara and Damascus after the shooting down of a Turkish jet last June 22 along the coast of Syria, threatens to worsen the conflict between Sunni insurgents and the regime. Yesterday, Turkish Premier Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced new rules of engagement for armed forces along a 600 km border with Syria. He warned the former Syrian ally that "from now on, Turkey will respond with the weapons to" any violation of the border. "However, the Turkish Premier in agreement with the other members of NATO has ruled out the hypothesis of an armed intervention in Syria.

In response to Erdogan's statements, Bashar al-Assad said "Syria is in a state of war". Yesterday, he reformed the government cabinet, ordering that all efforts must be used to combat and defeat the rebels.

 


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
06/26/2012 TURKEY - SYRIA
Ankara warns UN the jet shot down a "security threat" from Syria
10/04/2012 TURKEY - SYRIA
Turkish reprisals on Syrian border. Push for NATO intervention
by Nat da Polis
08/11/2012 SYRIA-USA-TURKEY
Hillary Clinton in Turkey in search of " the day after Assad "
06/25/2012 TURKEY - SYRIA
Tension mounts between Ankara and Damascus. NATO and EU to debate shooting down of jet
09/06/2012 SYRIA - TURKEY
Syrian rebels trained in refugee camps on Turkish border
by Ayça Söylemez

Editor's choices
IRAQ-ITALY
"Adopt a Christian from Mosul," the thanks of the Patriarch Louis Sako; the concerns of the Bishop of Kurdistan
by Bernardo CervelleraThe head of the Chaldean Church is grateful for the AsiaNews campaign and hopes that "this chain of solidarity will reach far and wide”. Helping refugees to remain in Iraq. But many want to flee abroad. The bishop of Amadiyah where thousands of displaced people have found haven in churches and homes: We also help the Arabs (Muslims), and Yazidis, for free and without looking at our confessional differences.
ITALY - IRAQ
"Adopt a Christian from Mosul" to respond directly to Iraq's emergencyAsiaNews is launching a fundraiser to support Christians targeted by the Islamic State, thus responding to a request by the Patriarch of Baghdad and Pope Francis's urgent appeal "to guarantee all necessary assistance - especially the most urgently needed aid - to the great multitude of people who have been driven from their homes, whose fate depends entirely on the solidarity of others." More than 100,000 people have been forced to flee their homes leaving everything behind and now have nothing to live on. To help them, five euros a day are enough. The funds raised will be sent to the Patriarchate of Baghdad, which will distribute them according to the needs of each family.
CHINA - VATICAN
Wenzhou bishop and priests slam government's campaign against crosses and churches in Zhejiang
by Eugenia ZhangFor Mgr Vincent Zhu Weifang, from the official Church, the campaign of destruction is increasing social instability. It is real persecution against the Christian faith. The bishop apologises for failing to intervene sooner. He was hoping that the campaign would end quickly. Catholics and Protestants suffer injuries as they attempt to defend their sacred buildings. For priests in Wenzhou, the campaign is unfair and touches buildings that have all the right papers. Such "stupid acts" by the government are undermining social harmony.

Dossier
by Giulio Aleni / (a cura di) Gianni Criveller
pp. 176
by Lazzarotto Angelo S.
pp. 528
by Bernardo Cervellera
pp. 240
Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.