24 November, 2014 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile





mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 06/16/2008
PHILIPPINES
Jolo: bomb at cathedral, security measures tightened
by Santosh Digal
A bomb squad safely removed and detonated an explosive device placed near the church, in the city's main square. It's not yet known who placed the bomb and why. In Sibugay, the body has been found of one of the Islamic rebels implicated in the kidnapping of Fr Giancarlo Bossi.

Jolo (AsiaNews) - Security has been tightened in Jolo, in the province of Sulu, the theatre of a bloody war between the Philippine army and Islamic rebel groups, after the discovery of a bomb in the central square of the city, near the cathedral, on Saturday evening.  According to a local radio station, a bomb squad removed the device and detonated it, and police forces have opened an investigation to discover who may have placed the bomb and why.

In the meantime, a dissident leader of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, accused of participating in the kidnapping of Fr Giancarlo Bossi, a PIME missionary kidnapped in Payao in June of 2007, has been killed in the area of Sibugay, in Zamboanga.  Lieutenant Colonel Romeo Brawer Jr, an army spokesman, says commander Akiddin Akiddin Abdusalam was killed in an ambush around four o'clock Saturday afternoon in the city of Kabansalan.

The bloody event brings to mind the dramatic days of the kidnapping of the Italian missionary, who spent 39 days in the hands of his kidnappers. The government paid a high price for his liberation, losing a number of men in the operation.  On July 10 of last year, 14 members of the Marine corps died in an ambush set up by Islamic rebels in the province of Basilan: 10 of them were beheaded.


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
08/11/2008 PHILIPPINES
Philippines: fighting between army and Islamic rebels, more than 20 dead and 130,000 displaced
by Santosh Digal
08/12/2008 PHILIPPINES
Bishops and Islamic leaders appeal for resumption of negotiations
by Santosh Digal
02/10/2011 PHILIPPINES
Fragile hopes for dialogue between government and Muslim rebels in Mindanao
07/06/2009 PHILIPPINES
Papal appeal, a source of hope for Christians in Cotabato, Cathedral parish priest says
08/06/2010 PHILIPPINES
Christian suspected in suicide bomb attack on Zamboanga airport

Editor's choices
IRAQ - ITALY
Letter from Archbishop of Mosul: Thank you for your aid, supporting the plight of refugees
by Amel NonaThe donations made through the "Adopt a Christian from Mosul" campaign are used to buy food, warm clothes, blankets for refugees and rent houses or caravans given the early onset of winter and. Two women have defended their Christian faith before the Islamist militants who wanted to convert them, despite the threat of death. A refugee among refugees, Msgr. Nona discovers a new way of being a pastor.
IRAQ - ITALY
Almost 700,000 euros raised as the 'Adopt a Christian from Mosul' campaign continues
by Bernardo CervelleraA second instalment is sent with funds raised in September. The fate of East-West relations is being played out in the Middle East and Iraq. Pope Francis and the Synod issue an appeal. Governments are lukewarm. Aid is coming from around the world. A new international community is defeating the "globalisation of indifference."
IRAQ-VATICAN
"Adopt a Christian from Mosul": Archbishops’ thanks as first aid arrives
by Amel NonaMsgr. Amel Nona, the Chaldean Archbishop of Mosul, who is also a refugee himself, thanks all the donors to the AsiaNews campaign. The situation is increasingly difficult given the huge number of refugees and the arrival of winter and snow, making outdoor shelters and tents impossible. The crisis, an occasion that activates the faith of Christians.

Dossier

by Giulio Aleni / (a cura di) Gianni Criveller
pp. 176
Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.