2 December, 2015 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile

mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato

e-mail this to a friend printable version

» 01/31/2011
Naypyidaw, the first sitting of Burma’s “sham” Parliament
In the midst of junta propaganda and the indifference of the population, the two Houses begin their first working session today in the capital. First priorities, the election of new President of Myanmar. The dictatorship has imposed a strict censorship, denying access to journalists. NLD and Aung San Suu Kyi left on the sidelines.

Yangon (AsiaNews / Agencies) - The first sitting of Parliament in Naypyidaw Myanmar took place today amid tight security and the general indifference of the population. People consider the new parliament shambolic, that will not bring about any change in the country: power remains firmly in the hands of the military, who have imposed a news blackout on the start of the working sessions of the two legislative assemblies ("Hluttaws). Among the first tasks, the election of the new (and first) President.

Journalists were barred from attending the first session of Parliament, the result of November 7 “sham” elections. Since 1962 Myanmar a military dictatorship has been in power that in the last two decades has increased its hold on power. 25% of the seats are reserved for members of the army and the remaining 75% were won by representatives of the party close to them.

A dozen journalists have reached the capital Naypyidaw, but despite the announcement last week, were not given permission to film or report. Networks of barbed wire surround the Parliament buildings; deputies have also been barred from carrying mobile phones and cameras into the chambers.

The military junta is celebrating the day as "a new dawn of democracy." Critics speak instead of a window dressing that does not change the substance: the country which remains in the hands of the military leadership, led by General Than Shwe. The population is uninterested in parliamentary affairs, because they are engaged in daily survival.

Representatives of the main opposition party, the National League for Democracy (NLD) and the leader of the democratic struggle in Burma, Aung San Suu Kyi, are excluded from the "Hluttaws" because they refused to run in the November 7 poll.

e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
03/31/2011 MYANMAR
The new government, a “puppet” in the hands of the military, says Burmese trade union leader
08/30/2010 MYANMAR
Top members of Burmese junta resign ahead of elections, but power remains with military
08/04/2009 MYANMAR
Activists and ethnic minorities together to promote democracy in Myanmar
02/26/2010 MYANMAR
The Supreme Court upholds sentence for Aung San Suu Kyi
06/24/2009 MYANMAR
Aung San Suu Kyi thankful for greetings. The junta arrest those who pray for her release

Editor's choices
Paris Massacre highlights the failure of Muslim integration in Europe
by Catherine FieldThe attack in the heart of France highlights the crisis of Europe’s model of coexistence. Social unrest, poverty and marginalisation feed youth extremism and radicalisation. A New Zealander journalist, expert on expertise in religion and interfaith dialogue, talks about it after undertaking a journey through the French Muslim world.
For Nîmes imam, Islam should not be held hostage by extremists
by Hochine DrouicheFrench imams condemn the Paris terrorist attacks and disassociate themselves from violence committed in "the name of our religion." At the same time, they ask Muslim communities to dare leading a life of dialogue and friendship with Europeans, without fear or arrogance. For centuries, Muslims have ruled out reason from their religious life. The vice president of French imams bears witness.
AsiaNews marks 12 years: Persecution and hope
by Bernardo CervelleraDespite a worldwide increase of ignorance, indifference and superficiality, many signs of love and hope resist even in the most gloomy situations: the Iraqi mother who gives birth to her child in a refugee camp and smiles even though she has nothing; the Indonesian Muslim mother who blesses her son who became a Christian and a priest; the Chinese Christian families that welcome children thrown away because of the one-child law.


Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.