08/05/2020, 08.54
PHILIPPINES
Send to a friend

Novaliches bishop says fight against coronavirus is ‘everybody’s responsibility’

For Bishop Roberto Gaa, efforts to thwart the coronavirus won’t work unless the public does its part. “Let us not pass this responsibility to others” he warned. Starting 1st August, the Archdiocese Manila and the Dioceses of Cubao and Parañaque have suspended public liturgical services for two weeks. So far, the Philippines has reported more than 112,000 cases and 2,115 deaths.

Manila (AsiaNews/CBCP) – A Catholic bishop said efforts to thwart the coronavirus won’t work unless the public does its part. The fight against the pandemic is “everybody’s responsibility,” Bishop Roberto Gaa of Novaliches noted. “First, we should take care of ourselves. Let us not pass this responsibility to others. And if we do that, we also take care of our family and all the people we meet,” he added.

The Philippines has imposed a new lockdown in the capital and surrounding areas to fight another viral outbreak. Tens of millions of people are once again stuck in their homes; thousands are grounded at Manila airport, unable to leave for the cancellation of internal flights. So far, the Philippines has reported more than 112,000 cases and 2,115 deaths.

The bishop urged the public to strictly follow the health protocols and avoid going out if not necessary. In his view, this is a time to work together in order to fight a threat of this magnitude. “If we do our part, we are also helping our [medical] frontliners,” Bishop Gaa pointed out.

Metro Manila and the provinces of Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal are currently under the stricter modified enhanced community quarantine until 18 August. The decision came after the health workers called for a “time out” to review pandemic control strategies as COVID-19 cases continue to surge.

Before the government ordered the new lockdown, the Archdiocese Manila and theDdioceses of Cubao and Parañaque announced the temporary a two-week suspension of public liturgical services.

In a pastoral note issued last Saturday, Bishop Broderick Pabillo said the decision was taken in response to the appeal of the medical community for a “time out” to stop the COVID-19 surge.

“We share the compassion of the medical frontliners for the many sick people being brought to our hospitals. We have witnessed their dedicated service to those who come to them,” Pabillo said. “Many among them are tired and even discouraged by their heavy responsibilities. So we support their appeal for a ‘time out’,” he added.

Send to a friend
Printable version
CLOSE X
See also
New COVID-19 emergency: Millions back under lockdown in Philippines
04/08/2020 09:11
Growing unemployment in the Philippines, also due to corruption and waste
04/01/2010
Duterte threatens martial law for those who violate anti-COVID-19 rules
17/04/2020 16:22
WHO slams Beijing over prolonged delays in international Covid investigation
08/10/2020 09:22
Philippine prisons could become major coronavirus hotspots
23/04/2020 16:46