30 July, 2014 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile





mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 07/05/2012
CHINA
Sixteen men trapped in Hunan coalmine
In recent months, dozens of miners have died in accidents similar to the one in Hunan. Official figures indicate that coal-mining accidents are down by 19 per cent. However, human rights groups say that many accidents are not reported for fear of economic losses, fines and mine closure.

Beijing (AsiaNews/Agencies) - At least 16 men were trapped in a flooded coalmine in Hunan (central China) in what is the latest accident to occur in an industry that claims thousands of lives each year. Rescue teams have been at work since yesterday but have not yet succeeded in freeing any of the miners.

It is unclear why the mine flooded but it might be related to the start of the rainy season.

Hunan has one of the highest numbers of mine accidents. Dozens of coal miners have died in recent months in accidents.

The latest government figures show that 1,973 people died in coal mining accidents last year, a 19 per cent fall compared with a year earlier.

Human rights groups and Chinese researchers say the actual death toll is likely to be much higher, partly due to under-reporting of accidents as mine bosses seek to limit their economic losses, fines and mine closure.

China is the world's biggest consumer of coal, relying on the fossil fuel for 70 per cent of its growing energy needs.


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
04/18/2007 ChINA
Molten steel kill 32 workers, industrial accidents multiply
03/30/2010 CHINA
Shanxi: 153 trapped miners could die of hunger and thirst
05/27/2008 CHINA
China’s energy production drops further
11/11/2011 CHINA
Yunnan death mine was not supposed to be open
04/17/2007 CHINA
Another explosion in coal mine traps 33 people

Editor's choices
VATICAN
"Stop! I am asking you with all my heart. Stop!" says pope as he speaks out on the Middle East, Iraq and Ukraine He mentions children, victims of war, "from whom we take away the hope for a decent life," urging the parties to address "every diatribe with the tenacity of dialogue and negotiation and the power of reconciliation". As tomorrow marks 100 years since the outbreak of the First World War, "a day of mourning," we should learn the lessons of history. The Gospel makes us know the true Jesus, the living Jesus, who speaks to the heart and is a life changer as he was for Saint Francis of Assisi. "The joy of finding the treasure of the Kingdom of God comes through, can be seen. Christians cannot hide their faith."
IRAQ - VATICAN
Saddened by "the timidity of the civilised world," Baghdad patriarch's heart bleeding "for the innocent in Iraq, Syria and Gaza" "Forget us not!" says Mar Louis Sako in a message to Card Barbarin on the occasion of the march of solidarity with Iraqi Christians, held today in Lyon.
VATICAN
Pope: I am with the persecuted Christians of Mosul and the Middle East "May the God of peace inspire in all a genuine desire for dialogue and reconciliation. Violence is never defeated with violence. Violence is defeated with peace." At the Sunday Angelus Francis comments on the parable of the wheat and the weeds. God is "patient" He knows "the same weeds in the end, may become good wheat". But "at the time of the harvest, that is, of judgment, the reapers will execute the order of the master separating the weeds to be burned".

Dossier
by Giulio Aleni / (a cura di) Gianni Criveller
pp. 176
by Lazzarotto Angelo S.
pp. 528
by Bernardo Cervellera
pp. 240
Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.