25 June 2016
AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook
Geographic areas




  • > Africa
  • > Central Asia
  • > Europe
  • > Middle East
  • > Nord America
  • > North Asia
  • > South Asia
  • > South East Asia
  • > South West Asia
  • > Sud America
  • > East Asia

  • mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato


    » 05/17/2012, 00.00

    SYRIA

    Syrian army shells al-Rastan as apostolic nuncio fully backs Annan plan



    The city in Homs Governatorate has been under siege for months. Mgr Zenari highlights the cycle of violence that is sweeping across the country. The prelate urges the UN and the international community to push for the peace plan despite the fighting and violence.

    Damascus (AsiaNews) - Violence continues in Syria after bombs killed 55 people and injured hundreds more in Damascus on 10 May. Today, the Syrian army shelled the rebel stronghold of al-Rastan (Homs Governorate), about 80 km north of Damascus.

    According to the London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, the army is getting ready for a final assault against the city, which has been the scene of months of fighting between regular soldiers and members of the Free Syrian Army, which has one of its headquarters in the city.

    "The situation in Syria is of grave concern. The international community must strongly back Kofi Annan's plan," Mgr Mario Zenari told AsiaNews.

    For the prelate, who has been apostolic nuncio in Damascus since 2009, the army and the rebels stopped using heavy weapons when UN observers were first deployed.

    "Even though violence continues, we must give the UN-Arab League plan its due by backing every small success," Mgr Zenari said.

    This is especially important now because the war has reached a dangerous point, full of hatred and desire for vengeance, even among civilians. The climate is so tense that "each death calls for more".

    Accepted on 12 April, the peace plan elaborate by UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan calls for an end to violence, the gradual implementation of a ceasefire, humanitarian aid, the release of people jailed without trial, free movement of journalists and the beginning of political dialogue between the government and the opposition.

    So far, pressures from the United Nations Security Council on rebels and regime have failed to stop the fighting, which continues to claim lives.

    UN observers sent to Syria to monitor the plan's implementation have themselves come under fire. On Wednesday, a UN convoy came under attack in Khan Shaykhun, Idlib Governorate, but no one was killed or wounded. At the time, army forces attacked a funeral procession killing more than 20 people.

    For the nuncio, the cycle of violence must be broken. "Despite the attacks, the UN must continue its work in Syria even though the two sides do not fully respect the ceasefire or the peace plan they both signed," the prelate said.

    Meanwhile, cracks in the opposition Syrian National Council (SNC) have started to appear. The group, which is supported and financed by Syrian exiles, lost its president today. Burhan Ghalioun resigned following a split between the SNC and local coordination committees. The latter claim that the external body has lost the support of the Syrian people in the fight against the Assad regime.

    The conflict followed Ghalioun's recent re-election as SNC president over rival George Sabra by only ten votes. For local committees, Sabra, a Christian, is the only leader who can free the SNC from the pressures of the Muslim Brotherhood.

     

    e-mail this to a friend Printable version










    See also

    27/03/2012 SYRIA
    For Syrian priest, Assad's acceptance of Annan plan is a sign of hope
    For former UN secretary general, Syrian president's agreement is a first step towards peace between government and rebels. Opposition groups push for military intervention and a buffer zone on Turkish border.

    01/03/2012 SYRIA - UN
    Kofi Annan for a peaceful solution, end violence on both sides
    The former UN secretary general has not yet received the ok to go to Syria. The UN seems to be close to the Vatican's positions, underlining a peaceful (and not military) solution, condemning the violence on both sides and not only that of Damascus. The bombings continue in Homs, a city of enormous strategic importance. Even China and Russia seem to be open to humanitarian corridors.

    03/04/2012 SYRIA - UN
    Assad promises an end to violence by April 10, according to the UN peace plan
    Confirmed by Kofi Annan. If Assad stops the violence the rebels must also lay down their arms. But in recent days the rebels have received financial support from Saudi Arabia and Gulf countries. U.S. ambassador to the UN skeptical.

    17/04/2012 SYRIA
    As rebels and regime violate the ceasefire, Kofi Annan's plan collapses
    Speaking to AsiaNews, sources describe a chaotic, unstable and dangerous situation. Extremists who flocked to Syria only to kill are among the opposition. UN-Arab League observers begin their mission.

    10/04/2012 SYRIA - UN
    Moscow wants Damascus to implement Kofi Annan plan. Opposition and U.S. skeptical
    As of today there should be withdrawal of troops and armed forces from the city. But there were bombs in Harasta and Mariah. Kofi Annan is in Turkey on the way to Tehran, to ask Iran for cooperation for the peace plan for Syria. Yesterday some Syrian refugees in Turkey hit, Lebanese cameraman killed.



    Editor's choices

    CHINA - VATICAN
    Vatican silence over Shanghai’s Mgr Ma Daqin causing confusion and controversy

    Bernardo Cervellera

    For some, Mgr Ma’s blog post praising the Patriotic Association and acknowledging his mistakes is nothing but “dirt”. For others, he chose humiliation for the “sake of his diocese”. Many wonder why the Holy See has remained silent about the article’s content and the bishop’s persecution. Some suspect the Vatican views the episode in positive terms. Yet, the Ma Daqin affair raises a major question. Has Benedict XVI’s Letter to Chinese Catholics (which describes the Patriotic Association as “incompatible with Catholic doctrine”) been abolished? If it has, who did it? A journey of compromises without truth is full of risks.


    CHINA – VATICAN
    Mgr Ma Daqin: the text of his “confession”

    Mons. Taddeo Ma Daqin

    Four years after quitting the Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association, the bishop of Shanghai “admits” his faults on his blog, praising the organisation that controls the Church. We publish his article, almost in its entirety. Translation by AsiaNews.


    AsiaNews IS ALSO A MONTHLY!

    AsiaNews monthly magazine (in Italian) is free.
     

    SUBSCRIBE NOW

    News feed

    Canale RSScanale RSS 

    Add to Google









     

    IRAN 2016 Banner

    2003 © All rights reserved - AsiaNews C.F. e P.Iva: 00889190153 - GLACOM®