» 08/17/2013, 00.00
EGYPT - ISLAM
The list of Christian churches, schools, institutions, shops torched by the Muslim Brotherhood in the last three days
The following list of 58 looted and burned buildings (including convents and schools) has been verified by representatives of the Christian Churches.
Cairo (AsiaNews) - At least 58 Christian churches, schools, institutions, homes and shops have been attacked, looted and torched over the last three days by the Muslim Brotherhood and supporters of Mohamed Morsi, the former Egyptian president who was deposed on 3 July . On August 14 the army has tried to evict the sit-in of the Islamists in Rabaa El Nahda Square and Adaweya. In a wave of devastating violence, over 600 people were killed and thousands injured. But violent attacks were also carried out on Catholic, Orthodox, Evangelical churches as well as the homes and shops of Christians, as we have documented
The representatives of the Christian Churches have drawn up a list which we publish below. The list was handed over to AsiaNews by the Press Office of the Catholic Church in Egypt.
Catholic churches and convents
- 1. Franciscan church and school (road 23) - burned (Suez)
- 2. Monastery of the Holy Shepherd and hospital - burned (Suez)
- 3. Church of the Good Shepherd, Monastery of the Good Shepherd - burned in molotov attack (Asuit)
- 4. Coptic Catholic Church of St. George - burned (Minya, Upper Egypt)
- 5. Church of the Jesuits - burned (Minya, Upper Egypt)
- 6. Fatima Basilica - attacked - Heliopolis
- 7. Coptic Catholic Church of St. Mark - burned (Minya - Upper Egypt)
- 8. Franciscan convent (Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary) - burned (Beni Suef, Upper Egypt)
- 9. Church of St. Teresa - burned (Asuit, Upper Egypt)
- 10. Franciscan Church and School - burned (Asuit, Upper Egypt)
- 11. Convent of St Joseph and school - burned (Minya, Upper Egypt)
- 12. Coptic Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart - torched (Minya, Upper Egypt)
- 13 Convent of the Sisters of Saint Mary - attacked (Cairo)
- 14. School of the Holy Shepherd - attacked (Minya, Upper Egypt)
Orthodox and Evangelical Churches
- 1. Anglican Church of St. Saviour - burned (Suez)
- 2. Evangelical Church of St Michael - surrounded and sacked (Asuit, Upper Egypt)
- 3. Coptic Orthodox Church of St. George - Burned (Minya, Upper Egypt)
- 4. Church of Al-Esla - burned (Asuit, Upper Egypt)
- 5. Adventist Church - burned, the pastor and his wife abducted (Asuit, Upper Egypt)
- 6. Church of the Apostles - burned (Asuit, Upper Egypt)
- 7. Church of the Holy renewal - burned (Asuit, Upper Egypt)
- 8. Diocesan Centre Coptic Orthodox Qusiya - burned (Asuit, Upper Egypt)
- 9. Church of St. George - burned (Arish, North Egypt)
- 10. Church of St. George in al-Wasta - burned (Beni Suef, Upper Egypt)
- 11. Church of the Virgin Mary - attacked (Maadi, Cairo)
- 12. Church of the Virgin Mary - attacked (Mostorod, Cairo)
- 13. Coptic Orthodox Church of St. George - attacked (Helwan, Cairo)
- 14. Church of St. Mary of El Naziah - burned (Fayoum, Upper Egypt)
- 15. Church of Santa Damiana - sacked and burned (Fayoum, Upper Egypt)
- 16. Church of St. Theodore - burned (Fayoum, Upper Egypt)
- 17. Evangelical Church of al-Zorby - Sacked and destroyed (Fayoum, Upper Egypt)
- 18. Church of St. Joseph - burned (Fayoum, Upper Egypt)
- 19. Franciscan School - burned (Fayoum, Upper Egypt)
- 20. Coptic Orthodox Diocesan Center of St. Paul - burned (Gharbiya, Delta)
- 21. Coptic Orthodox Church of St. Anthony - burned (Giza)
- 22. Coptic Church of St. George - burned (Atfeeh, Giza)
- 23. Church of the Virgin Mary and father Abraham - burned (Delga, Deir Mawas, Minya, Upper Egypt)
- 24. Church of St. Mina Abu Hilal Kebly - burned (Minya, Upper Egypt)
- 25. Baptist Church in Beni Mazar - burned (Minya, Upper Egypt)
- 26. Church of Amir Tawadros - burned (Minya, Upper Egypt)
- 27. Evangelical Church - burned (Minya, Upper Egypt)
- 28. Church of Anba Moussa al-Aswad- burned (Minya, Upper Egypt)
- 29. Church of the Apostles - burned (Minya, Upper Egypt)
- 30. Church of St Mary - arson attempt (Qena, Upper Egypt)
- 31. Coptic Church of St. George - burned (Sohag, Upper Egypt)
- 32. Church of Santa Damiana - Attacked and burned (Sohag, Upper Egypt)
- 33. Church of the Virgin Mary - burned (Sohag, Upper Egypt)
- 34. Church of St. Mark and community center - burned (Sohag, Upper Egypt)
- 35. Church of Anba Abram - destroyed and burned (Sohag, Upper Egypt)
- 1. House of Fr. Angelos (pastor of the church of the Virgin Mary and Father Abraham) - burned (Minya, Upper Egypt)
- 2. Properties and shops of Christians - Burnt (Arish, North Egypt)
- 3. 17 Christian homes attacked and looted (Minya, Upper Egypt)
- 4. Christian homes - Attach (Asuit, Upper Egypt)
- 5. Offices of the Evangelical Foundation - burned (Minya, Upper Egypt)
- 6. Stores, pharmacies, hotels owned by Christians - attacked and looted (Luxor, Upper Egypt)
- 7. Library of the Bible Society - burned (Cairo)
- 8. Bible Society - burned (Fayoum, Upper Egypt)
- 9. Bible Society- burned (Asuit, North Egypt).
Burned buildings owned by Christians
•1. 58 houses.
•2. 85 shops.
•3. 16 pharmacies.
•4. 3 hotels (Upper Egypt)
•5. 75 buses and cars.
7 Victims (killed) 17 kidnapping and hundreds injured.
16/08/2013 EGYPT - ISLAM
Muslim Brotherhood calls for 'Friday of Anger' as Cairo death toll rises along with number of torched Christian buildings
Brotherhood members will converge from all the mosques to Ramses Square after Friday prayers. Anti-Morsi groups ready to defend Christian churches, shops and homes. Mosques full of corpses, like morgues. The condemnation of the international community.
Egypt, Muslim Brotherhood assaults 22 Christian churches
The attacks are connected to the evacuation of Islamist sit-ins by the police. At the moment there is no data about any deaths or injuries. Fr. Rafic Greiche, spokesperson of the Egyptian Catholic Church, spoke of at least seven Catholic churches attacked, and another fifteen Coptic Orthodox and Protestant churches
30/12/2016 10:28:00 EGYPT-US
Government and Christians against US interference in Church reconstruction
US Congress discusses a law authorizing the supervision of the work of reconstruction of churches and buildings destroyed by Islamic extremists. 84 in total from 2013 to the present. Cairo authorities and Christian groups call the norm illegitimate form of interference. Fr. Greiche: Where was the United States when the Muslim Brotherhood burned the churches?
25/06/2012 EGYPT - ISLAM
Egyptian Catholics adopt wait and see policy with Mohammed Morsi
Fr. Rafiq Greiche, spokesman for the Catholic Church, fears the Islamization of society and the sharia. Even if the new president said "nice words" to reassure Christians, lay and women. The clash between the Muslim Brotherhood and the army threatens to block the development of society.
Egypt: Morsi trial a “sign of change for the country"
Fr. Rafic Greiche, spokesman for the Egyptian Catholic Church, emphasizes the desire of the people to turn the page after the recent Islamist past. Mina Thabet , president of the Christian Maspero Youth Union , speaks of a "double Egyptian Arab Spring ." In three years the leaders of two opposing regimes have ended up on trial. Morsi’s day in court postponed to February 2014.
Pope: together with the faithful in China on 24 May to celebrate Our Lady of Sheshan
During the Regina Caeli, Pope Francis speaks about the World Day of Prayer for the Church in China, instituted by Benedict XVI. Chinese Catholics must make a “personal contribution to communion among believers and to harmony in the whole society." AsiaNews Symposium on the Church in China is set for this week. Francis appeals for peace in the Central African Republic, and for loving “one another following the example of the Lord”. For him, “Sometimes conflicts, pride, envy, and divisions leave a blotch on the beautiful face of the Church.” Five new cardinals will be named, including a bishop from Laos.
May 24, 2017: 'China, the Cross is Red', AsiaNews Symposium
The event will be held to mark the World Day of Prayer for the Church in China. A title with many meanings: the Cross is red from the blood of the martyrs; From attempts to suffocate the faith with state control; Bceause of the contribution of hope that Christianity gives to a population tired of materialism and consumerism that is seeking new moral criteria. The theme is also about the great and unexpected religious rebirth in the country. Guests to include: Card. Pietro Parolin, Msgr. Savio Hon, the sociologist of religions Richard Madsen, the testimonies of Chinese priests and laity.
24/05/2017 CHINA- VATICAN
19/05/2017 BANGLADESH - SAUDI ARABIA
AsiaNews IS ALSO A MONTHLY!
AsiaNews monthly magazine (in Italian) is free.