17 December 2017
AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook
Geographic areas




  • > Africa
  • > Central Asia
  • > Europe
  • > Middle East
  • > Nord America
  • > North Asia
  • > South Asia
  •    - Afghanistan
  •    - Bangladesh
  •    - Bhutan
  •    - India
  •    - Nepal
  •    - Pakistan
  •    - Sri Lanka
  • > South East Asia
  • > South West Asia
  • > Sud America
  • > East Asia


  • » 08/26/2017, 15.12

    SRI LANKA

    Three years after Buddhist violence, government to pay compensation to Muslim victims

    Melani Manel Perera

    Cabinet approved compensation for the families of the dead and for those wounded, but not for destroyed property. In June 2014, the radicals from the Bodu Bala Sena group plundered and destroyed properties in three towns in in the southwest of the island. Now locals can hope.

    Colombo (AsiaNews) – More than three years after radical Buddhist attacked minority Muslims in southwest Sri Lanka, the Sri Lankan government decided to compensate the victims.

    The initiative, presented by D.M. Swaminathan, minister of Prison Reforms, Rehabilitation, Resettlement and Hindu Religious Affairs, was ratified by the cabinet of President Maithripala Sirisena last Tuesday.

    The families of the three people killed will receive two million rupees each (US$ 13,000); the 80 people wounded will get 500,000 rupees each (US$ 3,250).

    In 2014, a group of Buddhists attacked, plundered and razed Muslim-owned properties in Dharga Nagar, Beruwela and Aluthgama, three predominantly Muslims towns. The violence started on 15 June and went on for two days.

    About 10,000 people were forced to flee their homes, 8,000 Muslims and 2,000 Sinhalese. Muslims paid the highest price. The final toll included three dead, 80 wounded, 90 homes, shops, buildings and mosques destroyed or damaged worth millions of Sri Lankan rupees.

    The attacks were led by Bodu Bala Sena (BBS), a Buddhist radical group, in an apparent retaliation against an alleged attack against Venerable Ayagama Samitha Thero.

    Once news of the attack spread, BBS leader Galagoda Aththe Gnanasara Thero gathered his followers and incited radical violence between Sinhalese Buddhists and Muslims.

    At the end of the meeting, BBS militants marched into Muslim areas. Muslim-owned properties were targeted, whilst Sinhalese businesses were spared.

    The government of former President Mahinda Rajapaksa had already decided to rebuild some businesses using the military. But, according to what AsiaNews has learnt, no Muslim has so far received any compensation for damaged property.

    "On 15 June, three years ago, I lost everything before my eyes,” said Mohomad Hanifa Mohomad Sharook Hajiyaar, a resident in the town of Dharga. “One after the other, they burnt everything, house and shop. "

    He owned a showroom, which was torched. He remembers that “Before they torched my home, radical Sinhalese stole the valuables. I could not do anything against them."

    Despite promises, the previous government did not allocate any money for compensation. For this reason, reports that the authorities are going to pay have given locals hope.

    "This decision is an important step for the families of the victims and the wounded,” Hanifa said. “Even though I am not in this group, and I am not entitled to any compensation, I am happy for them."

    e-mail this to a friend Printable version










    See also

    22/07/2004 CHINA
    China tops world in censuring religious websites

    Access to AsiaNews also blocked



    24/06/2004 RUSSIA
    Freedom of expression on trial


    10/12/2004 PHILIPPINES – HUMAN RIGHTS
    Press freedom under siege, Filipino journalists says


    19/05/2010 PAKISTAN – ISLAM
    Facebook blocked by blasphemy regulations
    A judge blocks the social networking website until 31 May because some users organised a competition for Muhammad caricatures. Under Pakistani law, blasphemy can include the death penalty. Account creators say extremists cannot “take away our freedom of speech”.

    24/03/2016 09:17:00 CHINA
    Zhang Kai, lawyer who defends China’s crosses from demolition, is released

    After appearing on television to "confess his crimes" and spending six months under "house arrest", the lawyer was released. Together with activists for civil liberties, he defended the Christian churches against Zhejiang province authorities.





    Editor's choices

    MIDDLE EAST – UNITED STATES
    Mideast Christians against Trump over Jerusalem capital, a decision that destroys hope for peace



    The Chaldean patriarchate criticises a choice that complicates the situation and fuels conflicts and wars. Card al-Rahi calls the decision “destructive” and a violation of international resolutions. Coptic pope Tawadros II cancels a meeting with US Vice President Pence. Somewhat resigned, Palestinians continue their protest. For Israeli peace group, the US has abdicated its role of mediator in the region.


    CHINA
    Xi Jinping’s false promises and the expulsion of the “low-end population” from Beijing

    Willy Wo-Lap Lam

    Tens of thousands of migrants and their families have been expelled and sent away from the capital. Yet, at the recent Party Congress, President Xi had promised to provide support and help against poverty. There is no reward nor legal or charity for displaced persons. The country’s "social Darwinism" condemns the rural people to marginalisation and allows urban classes to enjoy privileges and advantages. Courtesy of the Jamestown Foundation.


    AsiaNews IS ALSO A MONTHLY!

    AsiaNews monthly magazine (in Italian) is free.
     

    SUBSCRIBE NOW

    News feed

    Canale RSScanale RSS 

    Add to Google









     

    IRAN 2016 Banner

    2003 © All rights reserved - AsiaNews C.F. e P.Iva: 00889190153 - GLACOM®