08/11/2009, 00.00
INDONESIA
Send to a friend

Yudhoyono warns that terrorists are planning more attacks

by Mathias Hariyadi
The Indonesian president’s residence tops terrorists’ target list. Police sources say that Malaysian terrorist Noordin is “still alive and on the run”. More is now known about the recent attacks against Jakarta hotels.
Jakarta (AsiaNews) – For President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, who spoke to a hundreds of lawmakers from his party in his private residence in Cikeas (Bogor Regency), the nation must be ready to “face new terrorist attacks” by Muslim terrorists “inspired by the famous Malaysian terrorist Noordin Moh Top”. More and more, the announcement of his death is raising more doubts than certainties.

President Yudhoyono’s remarks come at a time of whirling rumours about the real fate of Muslim terrorist Noordin, who was allegedly killed in a police raid last Saturday in Temanggung, about 80 kilometres from Semarang, the capital of Central Java.

Noordin is blamed for a number of terrorist actions: the 2003 attack against the Marriot Hotel in Jakarta, the 2004 attack against the Australian Embassy, a number of attacks involving restaurants in Bali in 2005, as well as attacks against two hotels in the Indonesian capital last 17 July.

Sources in the Indonesian police claim that the body thought to be that of Noordin Moh Top is in fact that of Ibrohim (aka Boim), the florist from the Marriot Hotel who vanished after the 17 July bomb attack. An anonymous police source said that “Noordin is still alive and on the run.”

Rumours over the Malaysian terrorist’s fate began as a result of statements made by two suspects a few hours before the latest police raid was carried out.

A Security Ministry official, anti-terror desk Chief Inspector Ansyaad Mbai, warned that Noordin might still be alive. But for him the “main concern is the fact that [Noordin] Top’s influence is deeply rooted in his cell group.”

In the meantime more is now known about the July’s attacks against the Marriot and Ritz-Carlton hotels.

An 18-year-old, Dani Dwi Permana, and a 28-year-old, Ikhwan Maulana, are said to have participate in the attacks.

Both were recruited by Saefuddin Jaelani, a Muslim leader in Bogor Regency, whose is currently being hunted by Indonesian secret services.

According to police investigation, a number of suicide bombers are ready to strike across Indonesia.

Last week a police operation in Jatiasih (Bekasi Regency) netted three “candidates” for suicide attacks.

Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono is among the possible objectives of the terrorists. His residence is on top of their list of sensitive targets.

According to the latest theories, Boim the florist was planning to turn himself into a “lethal weapon” and blow himself up with 500 kilograms of explosive material at the president’s residence.

Send to a friend
Printable version
CLOSE X
See also
Jakarta: third conviction for Marriot and Ritz Carlton attacks of July 2009
15/06/2010
Six terrorists arrested in Medan preparing an attack against President Yudhoyono
12/04/2010
Jakarta, extremists planning attacks against Yudhoyono with 183 kilos of explosives
11/02/2010
Terrorist Noordin Mohammed Top claims responsibility for hotel bombings in Jakarta
30/07/2009
Indonesia gripped by terror psychosis as manhunt for Noordin continues
13/08/2009


Newsletter

Subscribe to Asia News updates or change your preferences

Subscribe now
“L’Asia: ecco il nostro comune compito per il terzo millennio!” - Giovanni Paolo II, da “Alzatevi, andiamo”