Pro-democracy LegCo Member beaten by three thugs
by Paul Wang

Roy Kwong Chun-yu, 36, was the most voted politician elected in the current Legislative Council. The attack left injured to the legs and neck. One of the thugs filmed the incident in what appears to be a commissioned attack. More than a hundred high school students take part in a flash mob singing ‘Glory to Hong Kong’.


Hong Kong (AsiaNews) - Pro-democracy LegCo Member Roy Kwong Chun-yu was attacked today by three individuals at 10 am in a car park in Tin Shui Wai. One of the three attackers had a video camera.

Kwong, who suffered injuries to the legs and neck, is now recovering at the Tin Shui Wai Community Health Centre.

The 36-year-old pro-democracy politician has been very active in the anti-extradition protests (picture 1), often trying to mediate between the police and the more radical protesters.

Kwong is also very popular with voters. At the last elections to Hong Kong’s Legislative Council (LegCo) he received the greatest number of votes.

Fellow Democrats Lam Cheuk-ting and James To Kun-sun believe someone ordered the attack. They  point to the fact that one of the thugs carried a camera to film it as proof that it was carried out.

This is not the first time that people close to the anti-extradition movement have been attacked by strangers over the past three months.

Many movement supporters wearing its characteristic black T-shirt avoid walking alone, fearing possible attacks from pro-China groups.

Meanwhile, people continue to strike, hold sit-ins and chant in shopping malls pressing the government to meet the movement’s "five demands" and its call for an independent investigation into police brutality.

Yesterday evening, around 10 pm, more than a hundred high school students, along with their parents and local residents, held a flash mob at Lok Fu Place.

After singing the protest hymn, ‘Glory to Hong Kong’, they displayed a long banner with the words ‘Glory to Hong Kong’ in large Chinese characters (picture 2).

Last night, demonstrators and police faced off in Mong Kok, but, unlike previous weeks, did not clash.