First coup-related death as sanctions hit generals
by Francis Khoo Thwe

Mya Thwate Thwate Kaing died yesterday after being wounded by police in Naypyidaw. The United Kingdom imposes sanctions on three generals; Canada on nine officials. The United States, India, Japan and Australia are demanding a quick return to democracy. Protesters take to the streets in Yangon and Myitkyina.


Yangon (AsiaNews) – Mya Thwate Thwate Kaing, a 20-year-old student, died from gunshot wounds sustained during an anti-coup protest in Naypyidaw.

Mya is the first person to die since the military takeover. She, along with a young man, were wounded on 9 February during a confrontation with police.

Law enforcement officials said that they used only rubber bullets, tear gas and water cannons. Doctors at the hospital confirmed that two people had been admitted with wounds caused by firearms.

The United Kingdom and Canada have decided to impose sanctions on the people responsible for the coup that plunged Myanmar into a situation like that of more than 10 years ago.

The UK is imposing sanctions on three general – Defence Minister Mya Tun Oo, Interior Minister Soe Htut and his deputy Than Hlaing – freezing their assets and banning their entry into the country.

Coup leader General Min Aung Hlaing is already under sanctions for his role in the massacre of Rohingya civilians.

London plans to block all aid to the military and prevent British firms from doing business with them.

Canada has promised to impose sanctions on nine officials. For their part, the United States, India, Japan and Australia, at a virtual gathering of the so-called "Quad" (Quadrilateral Security Dialogue), said that democracy must be restored quickly to Myanmar.

Meanwhile, protests continue in Myanmar. Whilst most cities are controlled by army tanks and armoured vehicles, protesters yesterday carried placards and flags, calling for an end to the military dictatorship and the release of Aung San Suu Kyi and 500 other pro-democracy prisoners.

In Yangon, where tens of thousands of opponents have gathered in recent days, police have sealed off roads to the Sule pagoda, which was a reference point in the 1988 and 2007 uprisings against the military dictatorship.

Despite the massive presence of armed men, several hundred people, mostly students, gathered near the pagoda (pictured).

In Myitkyina (Kachin State), demonstrators drove around the streets on motorcycles, waving flags and placards, confronting police blocking the roads.