Twenty-year-old killed in Mandalay. Oceanic demonstrations sweep nation
by Francis Khoo Thwe

The young man was shot in the throat as he watched tens of thousands of protesters pass by against the coup. Today, rallies and marches in Mandalay, Yangon, Insein, Kata. Policemen and soldiers lay down their weapons against activists. The Myanmar ambassador to the UN, appointed by the junta, also resigns.

Yangon (AsiaNews) - A 20-year-old, Zaw Myo, was killed by police and army, while the young man was watching the passage of tens of thousands of demonstrators against the coup d'état in civil disobedience. Zaw Myo, a carpenter, was shot in the throat at the intersection of 114th and 49th streets.

In recent days, the security forces, using lethal bullets, have killed dozens of people - about 50 - and injured over 100 demonstrators and democratic activists.

But the demonstrations calling for an end to the military coup and the release of political prisoners are unrelenting. Yesterday, after the killing of 38 people on March 3, there were sit-ins in Mandalay and Yangon with thousands of people.

Today there are rallies and marches in Mandalay, Yangon, Insein, Kata again with thousands of participants (photos 2 and 3). The country's economy is suffering, due to the civil disobedience that has brought banks, government offices, railways, ports to a standstill.

Social media is full of declarations by policemen who are laying down their w4eapons and joining the civil disobedience movement. These include police chiefs, such as Tun Tun Win, lieutenant major and Captain Kyaw Kyaw Oo both of Mandalay (photo 4).

The resignation of Tin Maung Naing from the UN is an even greater setback for the junta. He had been appointed to replace Kyaw Moe Tun, chosen by the democratic government. On Monday 1 March, at the United Nations General Assembly, he pushed the international community not to recognize the military junta. For this, the government of the generals had accused him of "treason" and replaced him with Tin Maung Naing.