Burmese generals open 'nuclear centre' with Russian help

Todays headlines: over 15,000 dead from earthquake in Turkey and Syria; Pyongyang holds big military parade;  Australian coal returns to China; Taiwanese hi-tech giant Foxconn invests in India; Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church changes liturgical calendar; Georgia: former president Saakashvili denied house arrest.


The military junta has opened a 'nuclear information centre' with the Russian company Rosatom. For various analysts, this is a further step by the Burmese military to succeed in developing nuclear weapons.


More than 15,000 people are currently confirmed dead from the earthquake that hit the region on the border between Turkey and Syria. Pressed by oppositions and public opinion, Turkish President Erdogan admitted shortcomings in the initial response to the emergency, stressing however that the situation is now "under control".


The Kim-Jong-un regime held a grand military parade yesterday to celebrate 75 years since the birth of the National Armed Forces. Among an array of weapon systems stands out what appears to be a new nuclear-capable intercontinental missile.


After a more than two-year-long ban, at least two ships carrying Australian coal have arrived at the Chinese port of Taishan. The delivery is part of thawing efforts between Beijing and Canberra, marked by high geopolitical tensions.


Taiwanese electronics giant Foxconn is set to invest in the southern Indian state of Karnataka. The world's leading iPhone assembler has long been looking to diversify its production line, which is largely concentrated in China. At the moment it already has operations in Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.


The Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church from 1 September will adopt the new liturgical calendar for feasts and fixed dates, following a Synod meeting in Kiev, returning Christmas to 25 December. Easter will keep the date according to the "old style" calculations of the Orthodox Church.


The court in Tbilisi refused the release of former President Saakashvili under house arrest and his choice of place of treatment, not believing the seriousness of his condition. He himself commented on the decision, calling it a 'death sentence, issued after a series of sham sessions and without having visited me even once'.