21 September, 2014 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile





mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 11/30/2004
CHINA
Coal mine explosion: an announced tragedy

Fire raging underground announced the explosion but management threatened miners with punishment or job suspension.



Beijing (AsiaNews/Scmp) – Miners working at the site of Sunday's fatal coal mine blast in Shaanxi had been ordered back underground a week ago even though management knew there was a fire raging below.

The death toll in a coal mine explosion in central China has risen to 63, with 103 miners missing and with no hope to find some still alive, as an underground fire and toxic fumes released by the blast hampered rescue work.

The brother of one missing employee, a man surnamed Wang, said experienced miners initially refused to return to work underground after the fire broke out but complied when management threatened them with punishment or job suspension.

Mr Wang said his brother claimed the mine did not want to stop production during the fire and had insisted on higher output.

The mother of one mine worker told that her son had worked with a fire-fighting team throughout last week to put out the underground blaze. Many relatives of the victims said they needed an explanation from the mine.

Tongchuan government and Chenjiashan mine officials were unavailable to comment on whether they had known about a fire before the explosion.

An editor said the newspaper had sent reporters to cover the disaster but had been banned from talking to family members of victims and from filing their own stories. "We were asked to run follow-up stories, but all we can use are those from Xinhua or China Central Television," the editor said.

Coal miner-turned-photographer Song Chao worked a Shandong pit for six years and said safety was not a big issue. "We worked six hours a day underground and were paid up to 3,000 yuan per month," Mr Song said. "It's really a high income for rural areas so we don't take safety too seriously."


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
12/01/2004 CHINA
Death toll at mine blast rises to 166
11/22/2004 CHINA
49 killed in mine fire disaster, 11 reported missing
12/10/2004 CHINA
Shanxi: Thirty-three dead in mine blast
12/20/2004 CHINA
Sichuan: mine explosion kills 14, injures 3
02/23/2009 CHINA
Mine blast in Shanxi leaves 74 dead, hundreds injured
CHINA
Mine explosion kills 65
CHINA
China mine gas blast kills 21
CHINA
Death toll from mine accidents rises to 51
CHINA
At least eight dead and 30 trapped in two Chinese mines
CHINA
Coal mining death toll rises by 20pc
CHINA
Coal mine explosions kill 60 in Shanxi
CHINA
Coal mine explosion in northern China traps 29 workers
CHINA
Explosion in Shanxi: at least 20 schoolchildren dead
CHINA
Chinese Catholics to help mining victims
CHINA
The inexorable slaughter of Chinese miners: An overview
CHINA
In two days 220 men die in mining accidents
CHINA
At least 203 killed in Liaoning coal mine blast
CHINA
Sichuan: mine explosion kills 14, injures 3
CHINA
Hunan: 4 dead, 16 missing in mine disaster
CHINA
Shanxi: Thirty-three dead in mine blast
china
China sees no alternative to the vicious circle of mining and deaths
CHINA
Death toll at mine blast rises to 166
CHINA
Shaanxi: no chance of survival for 141 trapped miners
china
Up to 20,000 miners die every year to meet China roaring coal demand
CHINA
49 killed in mine fire disaster, 11 reported missing
china
Death toll rises in Chinese coal mine explosion
CHINA
Explosion in Chinese coal mine kills at least 56
CHINA
Coal miners condemned to death
china
Mine explosion: 15 dead

Editor's choices
IRAQ-VATICAN
"Adopt a Christian from Mosul": Archbishops’ thanks as first aid arrives
by Amel NonaMsgr. Amel Nona, the Chaldean Archbishop of Mosul, who is also a refugee himself, thanks all the donors to the AsiaNews campaign. The situation is increasingly difficult given the huge number of refugees and the arrival of winter and snow, making outdoor shelters and tents impossible. The crisis, an occasion that activates the faith of Christians.
ITALY - IRAQ
After raising € 350,000, 'Adopt a Christian from Mosul' campaign continues
by Bernardo CervelleraDonations raised up to 31 August have been sent to the patriarch of Baghdad and the bishops of Kurdistan. The campaign helps to feed, house, clothe, and bring comfort to more than 150,000 Christian, Yazidi, Turkmen, Shia and Sunni refugees who fled the violence of the army of the Islamic Caliphate. People in Italy and around the world have been generous, including the poor and the unemployed, a sign of hope for the world as well as those who suffer and those who give.
IRAQ-ITALY
"Adopt a Christian from Mosul," the thanks of the Patriarch Louis Sako; the concerns of the Bishop of Kurdistan
by Bernardo CervelleraThe head of the Chaldean Church is grateful for the AsiaNews campaign and hopes that "this chain of solidarity will reach far and wide”. Helping refugees to remain in Iraq. But many want to flee abroad. The bishop of Amadiyah where thousands of displaced people have found haven in churches and homes: We also help the Arabs (Muslims), and Yazidis, for free and without looking at our confessional differences.

Dossier
by Giulio Aleni / (a cura di) Gianni Criveller
pp. 176
by Lazzarotto Angelo S.
pp. 528
by Bernardo Cervellera
pp. 240
Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.