28 March, 2015 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile





mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 09/03/2005
RUSSIA
Beslan mothers 'believe' in Putin's promises
Russian President says that he does not yet have any answer for the 'hard questions" the mothers made in the Kremlin but assures them that "the truth shall be revealed".

Moscow (AsiaNews) – Putin admitted the authorities were at fault in the Beslan tragedy. But he also pledged that the truth shall come out and the mothers of the victims said they "believe" him.

Back from Moscow where she met President Putin for the first time, Susanna Dudiyeva, head of Beslan Mothers' Committee, said that talking with the President was "difficult and hard" but that the visit was "another step in the fight for truth and justice".

Vladimir Putin had invited 20 people to the September 2 meeting, but only 7 accepted. Ms Dudiyeva was originally opposed to the idea.

Many relatives of the 331 victims are convinced that the President chose this date to play on the raw emotions the anniversary has elicited in people in the hope that they would be more compliant.

North Ossetian President Tejmuraz Mamsurov, who had two of his children among the hostages, accompanied the delegation.

For a year, victims' relatives had been demanding a meeting with state authorities whom they blame for the hostage taking incident's tragic denouement.

In yesterday's closed door meeting, Putin is said to have personally accepted "responsibility" for what happened.

Speaking in a press conference after the meeting, Ms Dudiyeva said the President told the delegation that on September 1-3 he was unaware of the exact number of hostages; he knew of 300-350 people, but the real figure was over 1,200. "He said that the truth about Beslan will come out and we believe him".

Many reporters present at the press conference noted that Ms Dudiyeva repeated "We believe him" several times. National news agencies stressed instead the "free and open" nature of the meeting.

"Putin now says he has a better picture of what happened in a Beslan," Ms Dudiyeva said. She also revealed that the President was asked "hard questions" and freely admitted to not having an answer. He did though express the intention of "finding the truth with us and shedding light on what happened".

The President, who has been blamed for the ways the Special Forces reacted to the Chechen terrorists held up in the school, has pledged a full inquiry into the tragedy.

The President also admitted that the Special Forces used 'Shmel' flamethrowers (banned by international conventions) when they stormed School Nº1.

There "is no excuse for officials' improper fulfilment of their duties", Putin said, but today, faced with terrorism, no "state is [. . .] in condition to provide for the security of its citizens to the necessary degree". Moreover, he added, Russia has lost much with the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Back in Beslan, 30 women spent the entire night in the ruins of the school and another 40 held a prayer vigil in the cemetery.


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
09/01/2005 RUSSIA
Beslan, the days of tragedy (Overview)
08/31/2005 RUSSIA
Beslan: amid the official clamour, families fast in silence
08/31/2005 RUSSIA
Orthodox and Catholics mourn together those who died in Beslan
09/14/2004 RUSSIA
The Caucasus, a religious powder keg after Beslan
09/01/2005 RUSSIA
Accused of collusion with the terrorists, Beslan teachers write to Putin

Editor's choices
IRAN
Time for a deal with Tehran, a reliable partner against the Islamic State group
by Bernardo Cervellera A framework agreement on the Iranian nuclear issue has to be inked by 31 March. US Republicans, Israel and Saudi Arabia are fiercely opposed to it for ulterior motives. Hassan Rouhani wants Iran to come back into the international fold. Tehran is playing a mediating role in the Middle East. For Vatican nuncio, “there is no evidence that Iran is preparing a nuclear bomb.”
CHINA - VATICAN
BREAKING NEWS: Chinese police seize two priests in Mutanjiang
by Bernardo Cervellera
CHINA-VATICAN
Nothing to toast between China and the Vatican: Beijing wants complete control
by Bernardo CervelleraFor the Global Times (the People's Daily) China does not like the "Vietnamese model" of agreed episcopal ordinations. The Chinese Foreign Ministry’s embarrassment in front of the Holy See’s countless efforts. China wants the Vatican to accept all excommunicated bishops and to keep silent on those who are underground and imprisoned. The case of Msgr. Cosma Shi Enxiang. Without religious freedom, diplomatic relations are pointless. The work of mission and the unity of Catholics in China. A task for Xi Jinping: implement the anti-corruption campaign in the Ministry of Religious Affairs and the Patriotic Association, which have grown rich over the decades on the backs of Christians.

Dossier

by Giulio Aleni / (a cura di) Gianni Criveller
pp. 176
Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.