Meng Hongwei’s fate is unknown. Media reports suggest that the Interpol official, who is also China’s Deputy Public Security Minister, was detained by security officers upon his arrival in China.
Lyon (AsiaNews/Agencies) – Meng Hongwei, the Chinese head of Interpol, (pictured), has disappeared, his wife reported to police in Lyon, France, headquarters of the organisation.
In her complaint, made Thursday evening, she said she had not heard from her husband for ten days and that she had received threats by telephone and social media.
Yesterday afternoon, the French Ministry of the Interior announced that it had opened an investigation into Meng’s disappearance.
"France is looking into the situation of the President of Interpol and is concerned about the threats his wife has received," the statement said, adding that she was under police protection.
Interpol issued a statement. In it, the organisation said that it was aware of media reports about the alleged disappearance of its president, noting that the relevant authorities in France and China had jurisdiction over the matter.
The Interpol president appears to have gone missing upon his return to China. According to the Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post, “Meng Hongwei, 64, who is also a vice-minister at China's Ministry of Public Security, was 'taken away' for questioning by discipline authorities 'as soon as he landed in China' last week".
French daily Le Monde believes that Meng “was temporarily confined by the Services in Beijing as part of an internal fight within the Chinese leadership.”