2 September, 2014 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile





mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 06/23/2008
LEBANON
Six dead and 40 wounded in second day of clashes in Tripoli
Violence breaks out between a pro-Hizbollah group and Sunni supporters of the Siniora government. In the evening the army announces it will deploy its men and vehicles to separate fighters.

Beirut (AsiaNews) – At least six people have died after fresh fighting erupted yesterday in the northern Lebanese city of Tripoli between pro-Hizbollah activists and pro-government Sunni supporters. Two soldiers were wounded according to Lebanese news agency NNA, the first military to be caught in the cross fire between pro- and anti-government groups. The army has stayed out of the country’s current political or religious confrontations.

The clashes, which began yesterday, continued today in the predominantly Sunni Bab al-Tebbaneh and Jabal Mohsen areas of the city. Traffic on the Tripoli-Akkar highway stopped amid reports that some motorists came under fire.

According to residents the clashes began when an Alawi group attacked an area that supports the Mustqbal party of anti-Syrian alliance leader Saad Hariri, which backs the outgoing Fuad Siniora government. Syrian President Assad belongs to the same Alawi sect.

Clashes spread and news reports said a mortar shell hit Tripoli’s Grand Mansouri Mosque.

Meetings lasted well into Sunday night as Tripoli's Sunni Mufti Sheikh Malek al-Shaar tried to mediate but with little success. Fighting in fact broke out again earlier in the day.

Shaar called on the security forces to deploy in the embattled districts in force and respond firmly to any security violation.

In late morning an announcement was made that 16 local soldiers and police would be deployed.

“Hizbullah is seeking to shift its battle, after invading Beirut, to the Bekaa (where there were clashes last week), and now Tripoli's turn has come,” majority MP Mohammed Kabbara said.

For international observers the violence is linked to the stalled efforts by Prime Minister-designate Fuad Siniora to form a national unity government following an agreement in Doha last month that ended an 18-month political crisis. (PD)


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
02/15/2010 LEBANON
Commemorating Rafik Hariri’s death, demanding answers from March 14 leaders
by Fady Noun
09/29/2008 LEBANON
Tripoli: car bomb against Lebanese army, six dead
06/17/2008 LEBANON
Secretary Rice brings US backing to Suleiman and Siniora
09/21/2007 LEBANON
A country in mourning looks to the future with anxiety
10/31/2007 LEBANON
Maronite committee ends meetings without agreement on presidential candidates’ names

Editor's choices
IRAQ-ITALY
"Adopt a Christian from Mosul," the thanks of the Patriarch Louis Sako; the concerns of the Bishop of Kurdistan
by Bernardo CervelleraThe head of the Chaldean Church is grateful for the AsiaNews campaign and hopes that "this chain of solidarity will reach far and wide”. Helping refugees to remain in Iraq. But many want to flee abroad. The bishop of Amadiyah where thousands of displaced people have found haven in churches and homes: We also help the Arabs (Muslims), and Yazidis, for free and without looking at our confessional differences.
ITALY - IRAQ
"Adopt a Christian from Mosul" to respond directly to Iraq's emergencyAsiaNews is launching a fundraiser to support Christians targeted by the Islamic State, thus responding to a request by the Patriarch of Baghdad and Pope Francis's urgent appeal "to guarantee all necessary assistance - especially the most urgently needed aid - to the great multitude of people who have been driven from their homes, whose fate depends entirely on the solidarity of others." More than 100,000 people have been forced to flee their homes leaving everything behind and now have nothing to live on. To help them, five euros a day are enough. The funds raised will be sent to the Patriarchate of Baghdad, which will distribute them according to the needs of each family.
CHINA - VATICAN
Wenzhou bishop and priests slam government's campaign against crosses and churches in Zhejiang
by Eugenia ZhangFor Mgr Vincent Zhu Weifang, from the official Church, the campaign of destruction is increasing social instability. It is real persecution against the Christian faith. The bishop apologises for failing to intervene sooner. He was hoping that the campaign would end quickly. Catholics and Protestants suffer injuries as they attempt to defend their sacred buildings. For priests in Wenzhou, the campaign is unfair and touches buildings that have all the right papers. Such "stupid acts" by the government are undermining social harmony.

Dossier
by Giulio Aleni / (a cura di) Gianni Criveller
pp. 176
by Lazzarotto Angelo S.
pp. 528
by Bernardo Cervellera
pp. 240
Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.