1 September, 2014 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile





mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 01/25/2010
MYANMAR
Aung San Suu Kyi released at end of her sentence in November, Myanmar minister says
Home Affairs Minister Maung Oo announces opposition leader’s release. This will bar her from taking part in the election called by the military junta. Ms Suu Kyi will purge her entire sentence. An opposition leader says the announcement is “nothing new or extraordinary.”

Yangon (AsiaNews/Agencies) – Aung San Suu Kyi will be released when her house arrest ends in November. Tin Oo, the National League for Democracy’s number two and a close adviser of Ms Suu Kyi, is also set to be released, Myanamr’s Home Affairs Minister, Major Maung Oo, said last Thursday at a meeting in Kyaukpadaung, 565 kilometres north of Yangon.  For the country’s opposition, the announcement is “nothing new or extraordinary”.

Aung San Suu Kyi has spent 14 of the past 20 years under house arrest. In August of last year, the ruling military junta extended the measure for another 18 months because Ms Suu Kyi hosted a US national in her home without authorisation.

It quickly became apparent that the decision was a pretext to prevent Myanmar’s main opposition leader from taking part in this year’s October elections.

Releasing the Nobel Prize laureate in November will come after the election and will prevent her from leading her party in the election campaign.

Home Affairs Minister Major Maung Oo announced that Tin Oo, the National League for Democracy’s  second in command, would also be released on 134 February.

He insisted that his government was committed to a “free and fair” election.

However, news about the release has not been independently confirmed.

Nyan Win, a spokesman for the National League for Democracy and a legal 8adviser to Ms Suu Kyi, said the Major Maung Oo’s announcement was "nothing new or extraordinary."

"If the media reports were correct, hopes for Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's earlier release under the executive order were dashed," he said.


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
11/12/2010 MYANMAR
Burmese junta sign release order, Aung San Suu Kyi soon free
03/17/2009 MYANMAR
Burmese military junta arrests another leader connected to Aung San Suu Kyi
04/16/2008 MYANMAR
Junta arrests more than 20 anti-constitution activists
07/09/2012 MYANMAR
Aung San Suu Kyi’s first address to parliament, after 25 years fighting for democracy
10/09/2007 MYANMAR
Shots fired at the Chinese consulate in Mandalay, Burmese angry at Beijing

Editor's choices
IRAQ-ITALY
"Adopt a Christian from Mosul," the thanks of the Patriarch Louis Sako; the concerns of the Bishop of Kurdistan
by Bernardo CervelleraThe head of the Chaldean Church is grateful for the AsiaNews campaign and hopes that "this chain of solidarity will reach far and wide”. Helping refugees to remain in Iraq. But many want to flee abroad. The bishop of Amadiyah where thousands of displaced people have found haven in churches and homes: We also help the Arabs (Muslims), and Yazidis, for free and without looking at our confessional differences.
ITALY - IRAQ
"Adopt a Christian from Mosul" to respond directly to Iraq's emergencyAsiaNews is launching a fundraiser to support Christians targeted by the Islamic State, thus responding to a request by the Patriarch of Baghdad and Pope Francis's urgent appeal "to guarantee all necessary assistance - especially the most urgently needed aid - to the great multitude of people who have been driven from their homes, whose fate depends entirely on the solidarity of others." More than 100,000 people have been forced to flee their homes leaving everything behind and now have nothing to live on. To help them, five euros a day are enough. The funds raised will be sent to the Patriarchate of Baghdad, which will distribute them according to the needs of each family.
CHINA - VATICAN
Wenzhou bishop and priests slam government's campaign against crosses and churches in Zhejiang
by Eugenia ZhangFor Mgr Vincent Zhu Weifang, from the official Church, the campaign of destruction is increasing social instability. It is real persecution against the Christian faith. The bishop apologises for failing to intervene sooner. He was hoping that the campaign would end quickly. Catholics and Protestants suffer injuries as they attempt to defend their sacred buildings. For priests in Wenzhou, the campaign is unfair and touches buildings that have all the right papers. Such "stupid acts" by the government are undermining social harmony.

Dossier
by Giulio Aleni / (a cura di) Gianni Criveller
pp. 176
by Lazzarotto Angelo S.
pp. 528
by Bernardo Cervellera
pp. 240
Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.