24 July, 2014 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile





mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 02/03/2011
EGYPT
Clashes in Cairo from 5 to 10 deaths overnight. Mubarak's opponents will not give up
The battle between government supporters and protesters in Tahrir Square continues. The army begins to arrest people, no one knows from which side. The U.S. State Department asks Americans to leave immediately, while the political situation remains tense and confused. Large protest scheduled for tomorrow, “Friday of departure."

Cairo (AsiaNews / Agencies) - Five to ten deaths the toll from a night of violence, still ongoing, between supporters and opponents of Mubarak in Cairo. The death toll from clashes in Egypt becomes more serious by the hour, ahead of the big anti-Mubarak protest organised for tomorrow, called by opponents "Friday of departure" in Tahrir square, still occupied by thousands of protesters. Much remains confused bout the political situation, which sees Mubarak, Vice President Omar Suleiman, the Nobel laureate ElBaradei and the Muslim Brotherhood engaged in a difficult tug of war for succession, with the army, so far, on standby.

Health Minister Farid Ahmed Samih told state television five people died in clashes in Cairo following a shootout. The injured are 836, 86 those still hospitalized. Medical sources report that the death toll from clashes between antigovernment protesters and pro-Mubarak, continued throughout the night, and put the toll at ten deaths.

The most serious incidents took place around 4 am (local time). Shots fired at the demonstrators, from the “October 6” bridge, near Tahrir Square, claimed victims among the government opponents. The army, which has strengthened its presence on the ground, fired volleys into the air to scare off armed men who fired from cars travelling at high speed on the bridge. The soldiers then fired more warning shots in an attempt to quell the clashes that continued throughout the night with the throwing of stones and Molotov cocktails. The army carried out an unknown number of arrests this morning. The measure was taken "to avoid" further clashes. It is not clear whether they detained supporters or opponents of Mubarak.

The U.S. State Department has urged its citizens to leave Egypt "immediately". " All remaining US citizens who wish to depart Egypt on a US government flight and who are able to do so should immediately proceed to the HAJ Terminal 1, Hall 4 as soon as possible on February 3," says an official statement. "Additional U.S. flights after Thursday are unlikely," said the State Department. America has stepped up its pressure on the Egyptian government. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton called for an immediate start of the transition, and Republican Sen. John McCain called on Mubarak to resign. Mohamed ElBaradei, in a television interview, made reassuring statements, saying that after Mubarak of Egypt will not be hostile to the United States and Israel.


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
07/15/2014 ISRAEL - PALESTINE
Gaza: Israel says yes, Hamas no to Egyptian truce. 188 dead in Gaza
01/26/2013 EGYPT
Egypt, clashes between police and demonstrators: 12 dead and nearly 500 injured
01/28/2011 EGYPT
Clashes in Suez. Protests spread
10/10/2011 EGYPT
Anti-Copt violence, consequence of 30 years of bad policies, said Catholic priest
02/05/2011 EGYPT
Cairo transition negotiations continue. Mubarak gathers ministers. Tahrir Square will not give in

Editor's choices
VATICAN
Pope: I am with the persecuted Christians of Mosul and the Middle East "May the God of peace inspire in all a genuine desire for dialogue and reconciliation. Violence is never defeated with violence. Violence is defeated with peace." At the Sunday Angelus Francis comments on the parable of the wheat and the weeds. God is "patient" He knows "the same weeds in the end, may become good wheat". But "at the time of the harvest, that is, of judgment, the reapers will execute the order of the master separating the weeds to be burned".
CHINA - VATICAN
Beijing, seminarians desert graduation ceremony: We will not celebrate Mass with illegitimate bishops The rector of the seminary is the illegitimate bishop Joseph Ma Yinglin: Students refuse to concelebrate with him and reject Msgr. Fang Xingyao, who has participated in several illegal episcopal ordinations. The directors close the year without awarding diplomas and send students home: rumors of some courses being "suspended" in September. The precedent of 2000, when 130 young students chose fidelity to the Pope over compromise with the government.
HONG KONG-CHINA-VATICAN
Card Zen: Religious freedom and civil liberties are united, for China and Hong Kong
by Bernardo CervelleraA wide ranging conversation with the bishop emeritus of Hong Kong: the courage of Msgr. Ma Daqin, who sent a message to Pope Francis; underground Catholics are also prepared to be arrested; suspicions about Beijing’s sincerity towards possible dialogue with the Holy See. And in Hong Kong, the march for a referendum on democracy; support for "Occupy Central"; the fear of the government and arrests. Card. Zen reaffirms that religious freedom and civil liberties go hand in hand.

Dossier
by Giulio Aleni / (a cura di) Gianni Criveller
pp. 176
by Lazzarotto Angelo S.
pp. 528
by Bernardo Cervellera
pp. 240
Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.