According to the authorities, the cemented part was not authorized. Priest denounces not having received any notification. It had been built with church funds to facilitate the entry of elderly people. Sajan K George: "This demolition, during this holy period for the Christian community, hurts the religious feelings of the community and reinforces the growing anti-Christian sentiments and propaganda".
Dehli (AsiaNews) - "This discriminatory demolition highlights the anti-Christian hostility and the aggressions and intimidation suffered by the tiny Christian community," said Sajan K George, president of the Global Council of Indian Christians (GCIC), commenting on the destruction of the external part of a Methodist church.
On March 15, around two o'clock in the afternoon, two bulldozers tore down the side outside the church facade in the Mukherjee Nagar district, north of Delhi, by order of the Delhi Municipal Corporation (Mcd), governed by the Hindu nationalist Bjp party.
According to the authorities, the cemented area had not been authorized. The priest in charge of the church denounces that he had not received any kind of notification of the provision and that he has not been able to see any document or Court order. The outer part was built five years ago with church funds, and was used to help older people enter the building and prevent water from flooding the floor.
"However, they did not touch the adjacent temple - says Sajan K George - What kind of justice is this? This demolition, during this holy period for the Christian community, hurts the religious feelings of the community and reinforces the growing anti-Christian sentiments and propaganda. The GCIC appeals to the National Commission for Minorities (Ncm) to apply and fulfill the protection for minorities recognized by the Indian Constitution and protect the secular traditions of India ".
For his part, Commissioner of Mcd North, Madhup Vyas, claims that the demolition was carried out by order of the High Court and Governor Anil Baijal, in order to "decongest the area". Vyas ensures that the temple will also be subjected to the same procedure: "We cannot and will not be partisan". Santosh Kumar Rai, assistant commissioner, reiterates that further "works are pending in the area and will be continued next week. There is no religious reason ".
Meanwhile, attacks on Christians continue in India even in this period of Lent.