28 August, 2014 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile





mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 09/15/2004
MALAYSIA
Federal Court dismisses Anwar's corruption appeal
The former deputy prime minister barred from electoral politics

Kuala Lumpur (AsiaNews/AP) - Malaysia's highest court upheld former deputy leader Anwar Ibrahim's conviction for corruption on Wednesday, stopping him from returning to electoral politics until 2008 despite his recent release from prison.

Judge Alaudin Mohmad Sherif said Wednesday that "there was no fraud, suppression of evidence, or new evidence which would merit the court to entertain reopening or reviewing the case."

The court rejected an appeal by Mr Anwar to overturn his conviction for corruption, two weeks after a separate panel decided to overturn a sodomy conviction that freed him from at least five more years in prison. The unanimous ruling by the three-judge panel of the Federal Court was Mr Anwar's second setback in two days, following a decision by the supreme council of Malaysia's ruling party (Umno - United Malays National Organization) to not take him back into the party. Yesterday, Umno incoming president, Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said all council members concurred with him after he gave them his views. "I explained my earlier statement about there being no deal with Anwar regarding his re-entry into Umno. I told members there was no plan to bring him back and they agreed with me. That means the door is closed to him, for now", Badawi said.  Asked whether he was concerned of Anwar's influence if he remained outside the party, Abdullah said: "we are not worried. Our party is very strong. It is the biggest party in Malaysia and we are the government." 

Mr Anwar was the deputy prime minister of Mahathir Mohamad  before his dramatic downfall in 1998. He needed to be cleared on both charges to escape the five-year ban against convicted felons from seeking elected office or holding party posts. The ban on active politics takes effect from the end of his corruption sentence last year, meaning it will hold until April 2008. Mr Anwar's only hope before then would lie in a full pardon from King Syed Sirajuddin Syed Putra Jamalullail. "Anwar will not ask for a pardon," said Ezam Mohamad Noor, youth leader of the Justice Party, led by Anwar's wife. "His conscience is clear that he has not done anything wrong. Asking for a pardon is an admission of guilt." Anwar might accept a pardon if initiated by the government or royalty, Ezam said.

Meanwhile, the Mr Anwar, 57, is recovering from back surgery in Germany and was not in the courtroom. He has long contended that both convictions resulted from a conspiracy orchestrated by his one-time mentor, retired Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, who fired him in a power struggle in 1998. In the same year, the former deputy prime minister was sacked from the Umno and following that, he headed a reform movement which joined forces with the opposition and went against Umno and Barisan Nasional. Supporters said that Anwar can serve as an adviser to an opposition divided between his wife's organization, Islamic fundamentalists and a secular, ethnic-Chinese-dominated party. (MA)


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
09/02/2004 MALAYSIA
Anwar Ibrahim set free
01/09/2012 MALAYSIA
Anwar Ibrahim cleared of sodomy
09/07/2004 MALAYSIA
Court to review Anwar's corruption conviction
12/17/2010 MALAYSIA
Kuala Lumpur: Government suspends opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim
by Jeremy Lim
09/02/2006 MALAYSIA
Indefinite detention without trial in Malaysia

Editor's choices
IRAQ-ITALY
"Adopt a Christian from Mosul," the thanks of the Patriarch Louis Sako; the concerns of the Bishop of Kurdistan
by Bernardo CervelleraThe head of the Chaldean Church is grateful for the AsiaNews campaign and hopes that "this chain of solidarity will reach far and wide”. Helping refugees to remain in Iraq. But many want to flee abroad. The bishop of Amadiyah where thousands of displaced people have found haven in churches and homes: We also help the Arabs (Muslims), and Yazidis, for free and without looking at our confessional differences.
ITALY - IRAQ
"Adopt a Christian from Mosul" to respond directly to Iraq's emergencyAsiaNews is launching a fundraiser to support Christians targeted by the Islamic State, thus responding to a request by the Patriarch of Baghdad and Pope Francis's urgent appeal "to guarantee all necessary assistance - especially the most urgently needed aid - to the great multitude of people who have been driven from their homes, whose fate depends entirely on the solidarity of others." More than 100,000 people have been forced to flee their homes leaving everything behind and now have nothing to live on. To help them, five euros a day are enough. The funds raised will be sent to the Patriarchate of Baghdad, which will distribute them according to the needs of each family.
CHINA - VATICAN
Wenzhou bishop and priests slam government's campaign against crosses and churches in Zhejiang
by Eugenia ZhangFor Mgr Vincent Zhu Weifang, from the official Church, the campaign of destruction is increasing social instability. It is real persecution against the Christian faith. The bishop apologises for failing to intervene sooner. He was hoping that the campaign would end quickly. Catholics and Protestants suffer injuries as they attempt to defend their sacred buildings. For priests in Wenzhou, the campaign is unfair and touches buildings that have all the right papers. Such "stupid acts" by the government are undermining social harmony.

Dossier
by Giulio Aleni / (a cura di) Gianni Criveller
pp. 176
by Lazzarotto Angelo S.
pp. 528
by Bernardo Cervellera
pp. 240
Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.