27 June 2016
AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook
Geographic areas




  • > Africa
  • > Central Asia
  • > Europe
  • > Middle East
  • > Nord America
  • > North Asia
  • > South Asia
  • > South East Asia
  • > South West Asia
  • > Sud America
  • > East Asia

  • mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato


    » 02/02/2009, 00.00

    HONG KONG – CHINA

    HK pro-democracy activists to invite exiled dissidents to commemorate Tiananmen Square crackdown



    Meetings, forums and seminars are planned to lead up to the 20th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre. Beijing will probably refuse visas to “counterrevolutionaries” involved in the 1989 event.
    Hong Kong (AsiaNews) – In Hong Kong a pro-democracy group is planning to invite exiled Chinese dissidents for seminars in the lead-up to the 20th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square crackdown. Authorities in Beijing and Hong Kong are likely however to block the move.

    Albert Ho Chun-yan, secretary general of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements in China, said that his group is planning a number of forums and seminars this year to commemorate the June 4 crackdown, and is considering inviting overseas academics, including exiled former students, to share their experiences. However, the possibility of them being allowed into Hong Kong was small, he said.

    On National Day last year, Wang Dan, Wang Juntao and Chen Yizi, three important pro-democracy advocates in 1989, called on the public to join them in pushing for political reform, a free press and the establishment of a constitutional and democratic system.

    Also last year, Wang Dan was refused a visa for a trip to Hong Kong that would have taken place in July, just before the Olympics.

    This year China’s leaders are extremely concerned by possible social unrest and the upcoming 20th anniversary of Tiananmen. It is likely that Beijing will veto any visa for “counterrevolutionaries” who peacefully tried to bring down the social order, according to the Communist party.

    e-mail this to a friend Printable version










    See also

    19/05/2009 CHINA
    Liu Zhihua, the last known prisoner jailed over Tiananmen protest, is freed
    Mr Liu organised a strike to protest the 4 June crackdown in Tiananmen Square. Human rights groups say however that at least 30 more people are still in jail for the same reason despite the fact that the authorities have said nothing about them. By contrast, the latter fear the Mothers of Tiananmen meeting to commemorate the death of their children.

    08/05/2007 HONG KONG – CHINA
    Legislative Council blocks motion condemning Tiananmen repression
    The president of the body, Rita Fan Hsu Lai-tai, blocked the motion that calls on the government to shed light on what happened during the massacre on 4 June 1989. Those pushing for the motion say the most important thing is that the pro-democracy movement is remembered.

    31/05/2016 18:51:00 HONG KONG – CHINA
    Hong Kong to remember 4 June 1989, “On this, there is no doubt”

    Every year, the former British colony remembers the victims of the Tiananmen Square massacre. Hopefully, the Student Federation “will give it a second thought”, and join the vigil, says PIME regional superior. Ding Zilin, founder and soul of the Tiananmen Mothers, will not issue an open letter to the government for the first time in 27 years. The Church continues its commitment to truth and justice.



    01/06/2012 CHINA
    Tiananmen massacre cautiously marked in China
    For the first time since 1989, small demonstrations are held to mark the massacre in Tiananmen Square. Pro-democracy movements in Hong Kong invite mainlanders to their great march in remembrance of the victims. New Hong Kong museum attracts tourists from the mainland.

    06/06/2009 HONG KONG - CHINA
    Outpouring of donations at Hong Kong Vigil, they will fund an archive on Tiananmen
    An estimated 194 thousand euros is collected. A museum and web search could be part of the archive project. Some Chinese blogs succeed in defeating censors and broadcast images of the Hong Kong vigil.



    Editor's choices

    CHINA - VATICAN
    Vatican silence over Shanghai’s Mgr Ma Daqin causing confusion and controversy

    Bernardo Cervellera

    For some, Mgr Ma’s blog post praising the Patriotic Association and acknowledging his mistakes is nothing but “dirt”. For others, he chose humiliation for the “sake of his diocese”. Many wonder why the Holy See has remained silent about the article’s content and the bishop’s persecution. Some suspect the Vatican views the episode in positive terms. Yet, the Ma Daqin affair raises a major question. Has Benedict XVI’s Letter to Chinese Catholics (which describes the Patriotic Association as “incompatible with Catholic doctrine”) been abolished? If it has, who did it? A journey of compromises without truth is full of risks.


    CHINA – VATICAN
    Mgr Ma Daqin: the text of his “confession”

    Mons. Taddeo Ma Daqin

    Four years after quitting the Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association, the bishop of Shanghai “admits” his faults on his blog, praising the organisation that controls the Church. We publish his article, almost in its entirety. Translation by AsiaNews.


    AsiaNews IS ALSO A MONTHLY!

    AsiaNews monthly magazine (in Italian) is free.
     

    SUBSCRIBE NOW

    News feed

    Canale RSScanale RSS 

    Add to Google









     

    IRAN 2016 Banner

    2003 © All rights reserved - AsiaNews C.F. e P.Iva: 00889190153 - GLACOM®