11/24/2004, 00.00
INDONESIA
Send to a friend

Indonesia announces arrest of terror suspects in Australian embassy bombing

Jakarta (AsiaNews/Agencies) – Four terrorism suspects wanted in connection with the suicide attack on the Australian Embassy have been arrested, Indonesian police announced on Wednesday.

The four detained suspects included the alleged planner and bomb-maker of the September 9 blast , police said.

They are Rois alias Iwan Darmawan (who is believed to be a close collaborator of the two top Malaysian terrorists, Dr Azahari and Nordin Mohammad Top, now on the run), Hasan alias Purnomo or Agung, Ramdani alias Syaiful Bahri, and Sogir alias Abdul Fatah.

The arrests represent the first major breakthrough in the investigation into the attack, which killed 10 people, including at least one suicide bomber.

The suspects were arrested on November 5 in West Java province, police chief General Dai Bachtiar told reporters. "The suspects were involved in the bombing of the Australian embassy," he said.

The blast was blamed on the al-Qaeda linked terror group Jemaah Islamiyah, which was also implicated in the October 12, 2002, Bali bombing, and last year's attack on the J.W. Marriott hotel in Jakarta.

 

Send to a friend
Printable version
CLOSE X
See also
Bali bombs, God's will, says Ba'asyir
16/06/2006
Indonesia's Catholic Church urges the entire nation to unite against terrorism
10/09/2004
Indonesia’s most wanted terrorist captured
13/06/2007
Presidential elections in jeopardy after attack
13/09/2004
Ex Al Qaeda member: “I was responsible for the 9/11 Attack”
15/03/2007