30 January, 2015 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile





mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 03/31/2010
CHINA
Milk scandal: closed door trial for seeking justice for sick children
The trial of Zhao Lianhai begins, accused of fomenting unrest because he helped families to seek fair compensation. The toxic milk killed six children and infected more than 300 thousand, but the authorities want to silence debate.

Beijing (AsiaNews / Agencies) – The trial of Zhao Lianhai 'began yesterday in Beijing.  Zhao is the leader of the Kidney Stone Babies that brings together parents of children ill from drinking milk with melamine. The authorities are attempting to try him in silence and the police even banned his wife from seeing her husband and threw her out of the court.  

Zhao is accused of "being an agitator that caused unrest," to have held illegal meetings and shouted slogans to cause problems and to have seriously disturbed the social order ", a crime that carries up to 5 years in prison. In reality, he gave legal advice to families and victims of toxic milk to help them take action in court to get fair compensation. The trial took place behind closed doors, to prevent the participation of the many people sympathetic to the pro-rights activist.

His lawyers said he was led handcuffed into court like a dangerous criminal. Zhao has protested his innocence and told the judges that "if reporting a crime to the police is a crime .... then we live in a society very dangerous. "

 

In February, the milk scandal erupted again, when it appeared that at least 5 dairy producers have continued to use toxic milk.  

Outside the court, the parents say this is the result of the state’s attempts to stifle the 2008 scandal.  

Li, after hours in a persistent drizzle, was unable even to see her husband. She commented sadly to the South China Morning Post that "we are the victims. The authorities want to avoid the problem and, instead, they target us. Do not have a conscience? "  

 

Li Xuemei, Zhao's wife, waited for hours outside the court in Daxing District, along with their 5 year old son Pengrui and dozens of journalists and supporters. As a police car presumably carrying Zhao pulled up in the morning, supporters shouted his name.  

Pengrui drank milk containing melamine (plastic substance used in industry but poisonous to humans) and now has a calculation of 2 mm in right kidney. In September 2008 the scandal broke of leading dairy industries that put melamine in milk to make it appear rich in nutrients in quality control, because its molecule is similar to that of the protein. For having drank this milk about 300 thousand children have fallen ill and at least 6 have died (Zhao spoke of 12 confirmed deaths). At first the state promised adequate compensation, but then gave 2 only thousand yuan (about 210 euros) to each family, a sum entirely inadequate to cover the necessary medical care over the years. Many parents have turned to the courts to seek further compensation, but the court ruled their actions "unacceptable" because the claims were still being investigated by the authorities. Other parents of this group have been threatened by the authorities and some arrested.  

For this reason Zhao and other lawyers tried to organize the families seeking compensation for their children. The activist was arrested Nov. 13 in front of his child and since then has not been seen by his family.  


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
12/19/2008 CHINA
Chinese government not paying for children sickened by melamine-tainted milk
01/23/2009 CHINA
Death penalty, life sentences in tainted milk scandal not enough for families of sick children
12/11/2008 CHINA
Babies and toxic milk: Chinese companies will pay…."maybe"
12/29/2010 CHINA
Activist for children affected by melamine toxic milk released, but "self-confessed"
12/11/2010 CHINA - HONG KONG
Journalists attacked in front of the house of activist arrested over the melamine scandal

Editor's choices
IRAQ
The children of Mosul and the future: the "five-star" refugee camp
by Bernardo CervelleraIn the garden of the parish of Mar Elia beside the tents there are containers that serve as classrooms for the children and as a library. Another serves as a room for sewing. A children's choir. Fr. Douglas: "Taking care of refugees does not just mean thinking about eating, drinking, medicines, injections, vaccinations ... The displaced persons need to do something and to cultivate hope."
IRAQ
Way of the Cross: the refugees from Mosul beyond the emergency
by Bernardo CervelleraThere are at least half a million people who have taken refuge in Kurdistan to flee from ISIS. In the Shlama Mall at Erbil: 350 people living in the skeleton of a building under construction, with draped sheets and blankets serving as walls. The ordination of a young man, also a refugee, shows that with the flight, there is something that has not been destroyed: the faith, the traditions, the priesthood.
IRAQ - VATICAN
As 'Adopt a Christian from Mosul' continues, Mosul bishop notes that Jesus is born amid refugee containers
by Amel NonaPersecuted by the Islamic state, refugees have lost everything: belongings, home, jobs, school, and their future. Yet, their faith and mission remain strong. For them, almost 900,000 euros have been raised and sent. Pope Francis sends a message of closeness. The campaign continues according to the Patriarch of Baghdad's proposal of fasting and moderation at Christmas and New Year, with the money saved offered to the Christians of Mosul.

Dossier

by Giulio Aleni / (a cura di) Gianni Criveller
pp. 176
Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.