28 February, 2015 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile





mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 08/17/2012
SYRIA
UN calls off peace mission to Syria
The suspension was passed yesterday by the Security Council. No longer conditions to continue the work of observers. The mandate expires on August 19. Russia is opposed to the decision and warns of potential negative consequences.

Damascus (AsiaNews / Agencies) - The UN will not renew its peacekeeping mission in Syria. The mandate expires on August 19, but the Security Council has already voted for its suspension. According to Edmond Mulet deputy head of the observers, the situation on the ground is risky and no longer safe enough to continue their work. On 15 August, a bomb exploded in downtown Damascus opposite the hotel that houses the United Nations personnel. Over the next eight days the 101 military observers will leave Damascus. But a civilian office will remain open. "Although the situation is difficult - Mulet says - but we must look for a diplomatic approach to ending the conflict."

The end of the mission has been criticized by Russia, which fears negative consequences for the future of Syria. Yesterday, Vitaly Churkin, Moscow's envoy to the UN, has called on all states of the Security Council to launch an appeal for an end to the conflict and proposed a meeting to discuss the crisis also open to Iran and Saudi Arabia.

The UN mission, which began in April along with the plan of Kofi Annan, former UN /Arab special envoy League, had already expired on June 16 last. Despite the steady deterioration of security conditions and obstacles to field investigations, the Council voted to extend it for another three months. The observers have often been victims of attacks, intimidation and stone-throwing by rebels and army. The debate on the maintenance of the mission in Syria came after Annan's resignation August 2 and the inability to bring the parties to a cease-fire.

Meanwhile, the conflict threatens to spread to Lebanon also. Yesterday, the Persian Gulf countries urged their nationals to leave the country after the kidnapping of 20 Syrian Sunni Muslim by the Meqdad clan, a powerful Lebanese Shiite family.

 


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
12/17/2013 LEBANON
Another car bomb targets Hezbollah
05/21/2008 LEBANON
At last, Lebanese factions reach agreement
by Paul Dakiki
07/13/2010 LEBANON
UN denies "confidence crisis" in Hezbollah, but concerns persist
10/26/2012 SYRIA
Damascus, fragile truce between the army and rebels for the Muslim festival of sacrifice
08/17/2013 SYRIA
Syrian rebels receive heavy weapons from Sudan

Editor's choices
EGYPT - ISLAM
What Tayeb and Sisi said is big step towards a revolution in Islam
by Samir Khalil SamirThe grand imam of Al-Azhar slammed literalist interpretations of the Qur'an and the Sunnah, as fundamentalists and Islamic terrorists do. He supports the urgent need for Islam's reform, especially in terms of teaching lay people and clerics. He also calls for an end to mutual excommunication (takfir) between Sunnis and Shias. Egyptian President al-Sisi chose to fight the Islamic state group after it beheaded 21 Coptic Christians, whom he called "Egyptian citizens" with full rights.
SAUDI ARABIA - ISLAM
For head of Al-Azhar, religious education reform is needed to stop Islamic extremismFor Ahmed al-Tayeb, it is urgent to come up with new educational programmes to avoid "corrupt interpretations" of the Qur'an and Sunnah. Islamic terrorism undermines the unity of the Muslim world. He blames Mideast tensions on a "new global colonialism allied to world Zionism". a speech by the Saudi king is read at the conference.
HONG KONG - CHINA - VATICAN
It looks like someone is trying to shout us down
by Card. Joseph Zen Ze-kiunThe widespread optimism concerning the dialogue between the Holy See and China is largely groundless. Some Chinese bishops unable to speak freely are asked "leading" questions. The key issues remain unresolved, namely episcopal appointments and the fate of the Chinese Catholic Patriotic Association. Benedict XVI's Letter to Chinese Catholics, also cited by Pope Francis, provides guidelines. No agreement is better than a bad agreement. What happened to Msgr. Cosma Shi Enxiang and Msgr. James Su Zhimin? Hong Kong's bishop emeritus, champion of religious freedom in China, delivers a vibrant reflection.

Dossier

by Giulio Aleni / (a cura di) Gianni Criveller
pp. 176
Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.