21 April, 2014 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter





mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 08/02/2012 10:17
EGYPT
Cairo, 100 Coptic families flee after clashes between Christians and Muslims
Clashes occurred in Dahshur, a village 40 km south of Cairo. Tensions triggered by a dispute between a Copt and a Muslim, leaving one person dead. Dozens of Christian homes burned and the local church damaged, defended by some Muslim families. Police inertia unveiled in a video.

Cairo (AsiaNews) - About 100 Christian families have fled from the village of Dahshur (Giza), 40 km south of Cairo after recent violence between the Coptic and Muslim communities. Yesterday, a group of Muslims set fire to several Christian homes and shops and even tried to set fire to the local church. The police intervened with tear gas. In the clashes 16 people were injured, including 10 officers. The group was returning from the funeral of a Muslim who died during a brawl with some Christians took place on July 27. Sources from Giza Diocese report that Coptic families have now left the village for fear of new attacks. The case of Dahshour is the first serious incident of violence between Christians and Muslims since the election of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi.

The tensions erupted last July 27. The pastor of the parish Mari Gerges (Saint George) in Dahshur, Fr. Takla, says that on that day, Ahmed Ramadan went to Sameh Sami's laundrette (makwagi), to collect his shirts. One short had been accidently burned. At Ahmad's protest, Sameh offered to pay for it and the two made an appointment to  meet that evening after iftar meal that breaks the daily fast. Ahmed arrived that the evening, but not alone. He was accompanied by several hundred people, armed with knives, guns and Molotov cocktails.

Sameh closed his shop and ran into his house for protection, where his father and brother were. The attackers fired shots and launched Molotov cocktails. One of these failed to explode, Sameh through it back at his attackers. Unfortunately it exploded near Mo'adh Hasaballah, who was badly burned. He was brought to a hospital in Cairo.

The crowd went wild. They attacked the family (father and two children) and another Christian, and burned the houses of Christians. Firefighters could not reach the burning houses because of the crowd. Many Christian houses and shops were destroyed.

Meanwhile, yesterday morning Mo'edh died in hospital. A "bearded" (a Muslim brother or a Salafist) warned Christians that in the evening (yesterday), after the funeral, they would return and would burned the church and all Christian homes, killing people at will. Some 120 Christian families fled fearing a massacre.

Meanwhile, Sameh Sami, his father and brother were arrested on charges of "manslaughter". "As usual  in Egypt - comments a believer - the victim, a Copt, is put in jail."

22 year-old university student  Sayed Hamam from Dahshour, explains that the man's family, law enforcement and the Christian pastor is trying to find a compromise to restore calm in the village. Sayed said that the young employee of the dry cleaner, his father and brother were immediately arrested for illegal possession of explosives and premeditated murder. Five Muslims, believed responsible for violence against the Copts homes, are being hunted by police.

According to the youngman, the violence also erupted due to the inertia of the security forces, which did nothing to stop the fires and looting. The pastor of Dahshour says that the police intervened after almost an hour into the fighting, by which time most of the buildings were burned and Christian families fled.

The Egyptian police are often accused of not intervening or complicity with Muslim violence. A video posted some time ago on Youtube demonstrates an attack on a church in Aswan (see: 05/10/2011 Attacks against Coptic churches, part of a plan to expel Egypt's Christians). The video shows the violence of Muslims and the impotence of the police (for the video click here).

 

 

 

 


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
03/09/2011 EGYPT
Clashes between Copts and Muslims continue, six dead and 42 injured
07/04/2011 EGYPT
Sinai: explosion hits gas pipeline built thanks to Egypt-Israel accords
03/10/2011 EGYPT
Cairo, Al-Azhar condemns violence against Christians
03/14/2011 EGYPT
Military rebuilding Coptic church destroyed by Muslims
05/20/2013 EGYPT
Egypt, more attacks on Coptic Orthodox community, two churches set on fire

Editor's choices
ITALY - ASIA
Easter, victory over death and impotence
by Bernardo Cervellera
SYRIA
I will miss you Fr Frans, you inspired us all, says Syrian Jesuit
by Tony Homsy*A young priest from the Society of Jesus remembers the life and work of Fr Frans van der Lugt, who was killed in Homs after he refused to abandon residents beleaguered by hunger and war. "He gave and continues to give everything for the Church, Syria, and peace. His story and qualities made him an exceptional missionary and witness to the Gospel." Reprinted courtesy of 'The Jesuit Post'.
FRANCE - IRAQ
Chaldean Patriarch on the uncertain future of eastern Christians, a bridge between the West and Islam
by Mar Louis Raphael I SakoThe wars in Iraq, Libya and Afghanistan have made things worse for their peoples, especially minorities. As Western policies have been a failure, fundamentalism has grown with the Arab Spring losing out to extremism. Muslim authorities have a role in protecting rights and religious freedom. The presence of Christians in the Middle East is crucial for Muslims.

Dossier
by Giulio Aleni / (a cura di) Gianni Criveller
pp. 176
by Lazzarotto Angelo S.
pp. 528
by Bernardo Cervellera
pp. 240
Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.