17 September, 2014 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile





mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 03/21/2006
CHINA
Chinese government stealing children, demanding ransom for return
Farmers accuse family planning officials of taking away children born outside the 'one child policy' and demanding payment to return them. Victims are baby girls who are sent to unknown orphanages.

Beijing (AsiaNews/SCMP) – Farmers in Gaoping County (Hunan province) have accused family planning officials of stealing 12 unregistered children —i.e. born outside China's one 'child policy'—over the past four years and demanding ransoms for their return. County officials counter saying the children were taken in accordance with national policy and the villagers voluntarily gave them up.

About 60 residents have signed a petition insisting on the return of 11 missing children they claim were violently taken from their homes by the officials. The 12th child, an adopted boy, was reportedly released after 29 days following the intervention of a delegate to the National People's Congress.

The farmers said officials took away four natural and seven adopted girls charging several thousand yuan each for their return. Three of the biological children were from unregistered marriages and only one was in breach of family planning policies.

Yang Libing, a 42-year-old man from Fengxing village, said his de facto wife gave birth to a girl in July 2004 and even though she was their first child, the county's family planning officers took the infant away on April 29 last year citing an "unregistered marriage and an illegal child".

Mr Yang said the office demanded 8,000 yuan for the baby's return, a price that rose to 20,000 yuan several days later. The average annual farming income is 3,000 yuan.

"We are poor people and my relatives were not able to collect so much money in several days," Mr Yang said.

He said officials told him the child had been sent to an orphanage. "I don't know where my daughter is and I went to the family planning office several times but was ignored."

Mr Yang said a family planning official named Liu Shude told him: "You won't be able to find the girl now even if you could offer 1 million yuan, so give up hope. We can find another girl for you or allow you to have two children in future."

Yuan Xinquan, a farmer from Maoping village, said his child was also taken away. Mr Yuan said he met his de facto wife, Sun Ge, while working in Hebei in 2004, and Ms Sun gave birth to a girl on November 2 last year.

He said several family planning officials seized the child from the roadside as the family was walking home on November 25 and demanded a 6,000 yuan ransom for her return.

"I still don't know where my little girl is," Mr Yuan said. "They broke up my family because my wife left me after I was not able to get the infant back."

Another Maoping villager, 27-year-old Yuan Mingsheng, said his 26-year-old wife, Yang Shunzhen, gave birth to a girl in June 2001, but the infant was taken a year later when her grandmother took the child to hospital.

Fengxing villager Yuan Zhengnan, 48, said his third daughter was taken away in September 2004 while she was playing with her grandfather. Since then they have not had any news about the missing child.

"I know giving birth to a third daughter is breaching the country's family planning policy, but they can't take my baby away," Mr Yuan said. He said the office told him the girl was sent to an orphanage, but refused to say which one.

In addition to the four biological children, at least seven adopted children were said to have been snatched by officials in recent years.

Yuan Chaorong, a 43-year-old single farmer from Xishandong village, said he adopted a girl abandoned in Dongguan, Guangdong, whilst he was working in the city and took her home in December 2004.

Mr Yuan said he reported the adoption to the village and tried to get an adoption certificate but four family planning officials stormed his house and took the child away on July 28 last year because she had been "illegally adopted".

"They later asked for 8,000 yuan to get her back. This is just kidnapping," he said.

Mr Yuan said the county's party chief, Tian Changjin, told him he could help with the adoption of another child, but "don't ask me about the girl because she was not taken away by me".

Yuan Mingyou, from Dashi village, said he and his wife adopted a girl in 1999 while working as bread sellers in Wuhan, Hubei. He said he paid a 2,000 yuan "adoption fee" to the local police station in 2002 and police registered the girl.

But on July 29 that year four family planning officials went into his house and took the three-year-old girl away, later "fining" him 30,000 yuan for the child. He said he could not raise the money and the girl was still missing.

About 60 villagers signed a petition in December demanding the children's return. The villagers also accused staff from the family planning office of illegally detaining and beating them when they went to the office to try to get the children. They said one elderly woman, Hu Xiangquan, was beaten into a coma at the hands of officials in December.

County family planning official Li Zijian admitted the office took the 11 children away, but insisted the office was only following state law and policy. He said all of the children were illegally adopted and the villagers had voluntarily given them up for adoption instead of paying fines.

"We do not rule out the possibility that there are biological children [among the 11 children], but the villagers themselves told us these children were all adopted," Mr Li said.

He said families that exceeded state-sanctioned quotas would be fined, but anybody giving up an illegally adopted child would not be punished, perhaps prompting some farmers to lie and say a biological child was adopted.

"They later gave up the children by signing documents with us," Mr Li said. "As you can see, all of the 11 children we took away are girls."

Mr Li also referred to state law and local policy, saying a couple with two children was not allowed to adopt a child, and a single man should be more than 40 years older than a girl he wanted to adopt.

"According to these regulations, the adoptions were all illegal," he said.

County family planning office director Zhou Xiaofang defended himself saying: "We just took away the illegally adopted girls. These children were all sent to the Shaoyang Orphanage."

Ms Zhou also said their charges were reasonable because the family planning policy allowed the imposition of fines that were double the family's total annual income.

The authorities denied physically abusing villagers.

The villagers said they never lied about whether the children were biological or adopted offspring and did not sign them away. Some said officials cheated or forced them into putting their fingerprints on documents about the children's origins.

Lawyer Liu Xin, from the Guangdong E-time Law Firm, said the family planning office had committed a serious breach of the law by taking the children away.

"The office can only impose fines on the parents if they are offenders," Mr Liu said. "Taking the children away represents a deprivation of personal freedoms and is illegal."

Under China's one-child policy, most urban families can have only one child, but rural families are allowed to have two if the first child is female or handicapped. Ethnic groups are usually exempt from the one-child limit.


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
04/24/2006 CHINA
Beijing "will not change family planning policy"
03/30/2007 CHINA
Party officials’ careers in jeopardy if they have more than one child
01/24/2007 CHINA
China’s one child policy won’t change despite causing skewed male/female ratio
07/12/2012 CHINA
Ankang, compensation for couple forced to undergo abortion
09/06/2013 CHINA
China, one child policy 'breeds corruption in the Party'

Editor's choices
ITALY - IRAQ
After raising € 350,000, 'Adopt a Christian from Mosul' campaign continues
by Bernardo CervelleraDonations raised up to 31 August have been sent to the patriarch of Baghdad and the bishops of Kurdistan. The campaign helps to feed, house, clothe, and bring comfort to more than 150,000 Christian, Yazidi, Turkmen, Shia and Sunni refugees who fled the violence of the army of the Islamic Caliphate. People in Italy and around the world have been generous, including the poor and the unemployed, a sign of hope for the world as well as those who suffer and those who give.
IRAQ-ITALY
"Adopt a Christian from Mosul," the thanks of the Patriarch Louis Sako; the concerns of the Bishop of Kurdistan
by Bernardo CervelleraThe head of the Chaldean Church is grateful for the AsiaNews campaign and hopes that "this chain of solidarity will reach far and wide”. Helping refugees to remain in Iraq. But many want to flee abroad. The bishop of Amadiyah where thousands of displaced people have found haven in churches and homes: We also help the Arabs (Muslims), and Yazidis, for free and without looking at our confessional differences.
ITALY - IRAQ
"Adopt a Christian from Mosul" to respond directly to Iraq's emergencyAsiaNews is launching a fundraiser to support Christians targeted by the Islamic State, thus responding to a request by the Patriarch of Baghdad and Pope Francis's urgent appeal "to guarantee all necessary assistance - especially the most urgently needed aid - to the great multitude of people who have been driven from their homes, whose fate depends entirely on the solidarity of others." More than 100,000 people have been forced to flee their homes leaving everything behind and now have nothing to live on. To help them, five euros a day are enough. The funds raised will be sent to the Patriarchate of Baghdad, which will distribute them according to the needs of each family.

Dossier
by Giulio Aleni / (a cura di) Gianni Criveller
pp. 176
by Lazzarotto Angelo S.
pp. 528
by Bernardo Cervellera
pp. 240
Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.