19 December, 2014 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile





mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 09/05/2013
VIETNAM
Nghe An: police cracks down hard on Catholics protest
At least 300 people were protesting against the detention of two Catholics who have been in jail since June without charges. A thousand police agents were involved, firing in the air and hitting protesters with electric batons. Many of the most seriously injured were transferred to Hanoi. Dozens of protesters are arrested.

Hanoi (AsiaNews) - Vietnamese police attacked hundreds of Catholics protesting in front of their church, using live ammunition and throwing grenades. Protesters were demanding the release of two parishioners arrested in June and held without charges.

According to eyewitness accounts, the incident, which took place yesterday in My Yen Parish, Nghe An province (north-central coastal region), was one of the most violent and bloody acts of repression carried out by the authorities in recent years.

An unknown number of people ended up in hospital for medical treatment with some patients in serious condition transferred urgently to Hanoi.

Police used batons and fired into the air to disperse the crowd, arresting an unspecified number of demonstrators.

State-controlled TV reported that about 300 people went to the Nghi Phuong village People's Committee building in Nghi Loc district early Wednesday morning, saying they would not budge until My Yen parishioners Ngo Van Khoi and Nguyen Van Hai were freed after their unwarranted detention.

A day earlier, about 1,000 people, some of them carrying large banners, had campaigned for the pair's release.

Tensions were high also because for two days, the authorities had announced the release of the two men without actually doing so.

"They [police] fired 15 [gun] shots in front of the My Yen church. They beat some parishioners with electric batons," an eyewitness told Radio Free Asia (RFA).

A website linked to the Vietnamese Redemptorist Church posted pictures of dozens of people receiving treatment for serious injuries to the head, hand, stomach, and neck.

Online reports said up to 3,000 police officers and soldiers may have been mobilised in the crackdown. According to some eyewitnesses, police tried to stop people from getting treatment.

Ngo Van Khoi and Nguyen Van Hai were detained last June by men belonging to security agencies. They have been held without a formal indictment since then.

Their families have reported that they are in prison for "disturbing public order", but no specific incident was mentioned that would justify their detention.

In Vietnam, the authorities continue their repression against bloggers, activists and dissidents seeking religious freedom, respect for civil rights, and the end of one-party hegemony, which is now the object of a petition.

In 2013 alone, Hanoi arrested more than 40 activists for crimes "against the state", a charge useful for repression but too "generic" and "vague" for human rights groups.

The Catholic Church has also been forced to submit to limits and restrictions, its members victims of persecution.

In January, a local court sentenced 14 people, including Catholics, to prison on charges of attempting to overthrow the government, a decision criticised forcefully by activists and human rights groups.


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
09/10/2008 VIETNAM
Bishop of Thai Binh, violence of Hanoi authorities will be condemned by the world
05/12/2010 THAILAND
In Bangkok, government to cut supplies to red-shirts who vow to fight on
09/12/2008 VIETNAM
Facing possible arrest, bishop of Thai Binh says goodbye to faithful
by J.B. An Dang
06/30/2014 VIETNAM
Saigon: Redemptorists praying for the release of Catholic activist Jang Xuan Dieu
by Thanh Thuy 

09/02/2013 VIETNAM
Hanoi against internet, outlaws talking about politics and news

Editor's choices
IRAQ - VATICAN
As 'Adopt a Christian from Mosul' continues, Mosul bishop notes that Jesus is born amid refugee containers
by Amel NonaPersecuted by the Islamic state, refugees have lost everything: belongings, home, jobs, school, and their future. Yet, their faith and mission remain strong. For them, almost 900,000 euros have been raised and sent. Pope Francis sends a message of closeness. The campaign continues according to the Patriarch of Baghdad's proposal of fasting and moderation at Christmas and New Year, with the money saved offered to the Christians of Mosul.
IRAQ
Chaldean Patriarch calls for fasting on Christmas Eve for refugees' return to Mosul
by Joseph MahmoudMar Louis Sako calls on the faithful not to celebrate Christmas and New Year in a "worldly" fashion, with pomp and abundance, out of solidarity with the people who fled the Nineveh plains, persecuted by the Islamic Army. AsiaNews is joining the fast proposed by the Patriarch and calls on all readers to give what they would have otherwise spent in support of the campaign 'Adopt a Christian from Mosul'.
IRAQ - ITALY
Letter from Archbishop of Mosul: Thank you for your aid, supporting the plight of refugees
by Amel NonaThe donations made through the "Adopt a Christian from Mosul" campaign are used to buy food, warm clothes, blankets for refugees and rent houses or caravans given the early onset of winter and. Two women have defended their Christian faith before the Islamist militants who wanted to convert them, despite the threat of death. A refugee among refugees, Msgr. Nona discovers a new way of being a pastor.

Dossier

by Giulio Aleni / (a cura di) Gianni Criveller
pp. 176
Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.