24 July 2016
AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook
Geographic areas




  • > Africa
  • > Central Asia
  • > Europe
  • > Middle East
  • > Nord America
  • > North Asia
  • > South Asia
  • > South East Asia
  • > South West Asia
  • > Sud America
  • > East Asia

  • mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato


    » 07/02/2011, 00.00

    INDONESIA - SAUDI ARABIA

    Saudi Arabia "to drive out" all Indonesian migrants

    Mathias Hariyadi

    The decision announced June 30. Jakarta replies that it has pre-empted a decision already taken to stop migration. But experts point out that Riyadh needs the Indonesian workforce and Jakarta has millions of unemployed. Instead safety and rights should be discussed.
    Jakarta (AsiaNews) - Tension remains high between Riyadh and Jakarta in the aftermath of the beheading of an Indonesian woman in Saudi Arabia. The latter has decided to ban Indonesian workers (called Tenga Kerja Indonesia or TKI) from the country, but Indonesia had already decided to bring home the majority of its citizens migrated to Arabia, to ensure their safety.

    Riyadh’s decision is effective from today. The Indonesian Minister for Human Resources Muhaimin Iskandar, however, commented on June 30 that "there is no problem, because their decision is in line with our moratorium." During a debate, he added that "they still need our TKI ... so we are not concerned about the decision to ban them."

    President Susilo Bambang Yodhoyono had already promulgated the decision to recall some of the Indonesian workers who have migrated to Arabia, as of August 1. Jakarta aims to protest the beheading its citizen Rubati bin Satupi, carried out by Riyadh in violation of "international standards", without even informing Indonesia (in the picture: a moment of street protests in Indonesia).

    The ban affects about 1.5 million Indonesian migrants who live in Saudi on a regular basis and send home at least 2 trillion rupees a year. Experts believe that the two countries should seek a solution together, rather than take unilateral decisions.

    Jumhur Hidayat, head of the Indonesian national office for the placement and safety of TKI, said the Saudi decision is in line with Indonesia to stop this migration, but fears that it "will result in many illegal TKI without official documents."

    Rusdi Basalamah, Secretary General of the Indonesian TKI agency, explains that there are thousands of Indonesian workers who have already applied for a visa and are ready to leave for Saudi.

    Muhammad Yunus Yamani, head of the Agency, shows that this situation creates problems for both countries, because "Saudi Arabia has a strong need of our TKI and Indonesia relies heavily on TKI remittances from abroad ".

    The National Commission for Human Rights of Women believes that any travel ban will have no effect unless alternative forms of employment are created for millions of unemployed domestic workers.

    President Yudhoyono is concerned, however, to ensure the effective presence abroad of the newly created body for the safety of TKIs. He notes that there are at least 200 TKI, who are domestic workers in Saudi Arabia, China, Singapore and Malaysia, subject to charges involving the death penalty. "20% of them – he said yesterday - are involved in murder cases, while others in case of narcotic drugs or sexual abuse." "The Task Force for the TKI should provide them legal assistance and take all steps to minimize the possibility of death sentence." "We must ensure that any death sentence is transmuted to life imprisonment."

    Minister Muhaimin Iskandar noted however, that the legal protection abroad is only one problem with TKI to discuss with Riyadh. It is also necessary to mention the minimum monthly wage, which Jakarta has asked be raised to at least 11 thousand reais (around 3 thousand dollars), however, this has met with objections.
    e-mail this to a friend Printable version










    See also

    26/03/2014 INDONESIA - SAUDI ARABIA
    Saudi Arabia: Indonesian migrant risks beheading
    The 40-year old Satinah Binti Djumadi is on death row for murder and theft. The execution is scheduled for April 3. At President Yudhoyono’s request, the Saudi king has already pardoned her. But under Islamic law the forgiveness of the family is needed and they want 2 million US dollars.

    17/04/2015 INDONESIA - SAUDI ARABIA
    Saudi Arabia another Indonesian beheaded. "Shock and grief" in Jakarta
    It is the second case in less than a week. Karni binti Medi Tarsim had been sentenced to death for killing the four year old son of her employer. Indonesian authorities once again notified after the fact. Activists and human rights groups appeal to President Jokowi, for the protection of migrant workers.

    04/04/2014 INDONESIA - SAUDI ARABIA
    Jakarta pays "blood money" to save domestic worker sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia
    The Indonesian government will pay part of the 7 million riyals (1.9 million US dollars) demanded to avoid death sentence. The 40-year old Satinah Binti Djumadi had killed her employer, following abuse. The execution of the sentence had already been postponed five times in the past.

    24/06/2011 INDONESIA – SAUDI ARABIA
    After Ruyati’s beheading, Jakarta stops migrants from going to Saudi Arabia
    A migrant worker, Ruyati Binti Satubi Saruna, was sentenced to death for murder and then executed by beheading without Indonesian authorities ever being informed. An additional 28 Indonesian nationals face the death penalty. The Indonesian government and embassy are accused of showing little interest for the fate of Indonesian migrant workers.

    17/03/2012 SAUDI ARABIA - PHILIPPINES
    Saudi Arabia, 70% of Filipino domestic workers suffer physical and psychological violence
    Revealed by research of the Committee on Overseas Workers Welfare. The cases of rape suffered by Filipino young people are on the agenda. To avoid an increase in wages, the government of Riyadh bans unskilled workers from the Philippines and Indonesia.



    Editor's choices

    ASIA – WYD
    Card Gracias: young Asians bring Asian values to World Youth Day in Krakow

    Nirmala Carvalho

    "Our Asian pilgrims not only bring the grandeur, the vitality and beauty of Asia, but also the multi-cultural diversity, pluralism as well as Asian values of hospitality and family and, of course, the Church of the young.” Asia youth come to discover Krakow and the charisma of John Paul II, founder of the WYD.


    SYRIA
    Horror in Aleppo: "moderate" rebel group beheads Palestinian child



    The Nour al-Din al-Zenki movement beheads 11-year old Abdallah Issa shouting "Allah Akbar". The child was executed for collaborating with government forces. Before he died he was tortured. The group’s leaders try to back away from the barbaric killing. The group is supported by Turkey, the US, Qatar and Saudi Arabia.


    AsiaNews IS ALSO A MONTHLY!

    AsiaNews monthly magazine (in Italian) is free.
     

    SUBSCRIBE NOW

    News feed

    Canale RSScanale RSS 

    Add to Google









     

    IRAN 2016 Banner

    2003 © All rights reserved - AsiaNews C.F. e P.Iva: 00889190153 - GLACOM®