27 June 2016
AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook
Geographic areas




  • > Africa
  • > Central Asia
  • > Europe
  • > Middle East
  •    - Bahrain
  •    - Iran
  •    - Iraq
  •    - Israel
  •    - Jordan
  •    - Kuwait
  •    - Lebanon
  •    - Oman
  •    - Palestine
  •    - Qatar
  •    - Saudi Arabia
  •    - Syria
  •    - Turkey
  •    - United Arab Emirates
  •    - Yemen
  • > Nord America
  • > North Asia
  • > South Asia
  • > South East Asia
  • > South West Asia
  • > Sud America
  • > East Asia

  • mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato


    » 04/25/2013, 00.00

    SYRIA

    The two bishops of Aleppo still in kidnappers hands. The "dictatorship of the false information"



    Negotiations with the kidnappers is ongoing, nothing yet known about the date of their alleged release. Archbishop Yohanna Ibrahim, Syriac Orthodox bishop of the diocese of Aleppo and Msgr. Boulos Yaziji, were kidnapped on April 22, just 10 km from Aleppo, near the Turkish border. Greek-Melkite Bishop criticizes false information on the alleged release of prelates abounding in Western media. "Here there are men and women who risk their lives to affirm and tell the truth and and who resist bargaining with the rebels, religious groups, or regime."

    Aleppo (AsiaNews) - The two Orthodox bishops seized last April 22 in Kafr Dael, 10 km from Aleppo, on the Turkish border are still in the hands of the kidnappers. Sources tell AsiaNews that the negotiations are ongoing, nothing is yet known about the date of their alleged release, or the identity of the kidnappers, probably Chechen jihadists.

    Syriac Orthodox Archbishop Yohanna Ibrahim of the diocese of Aleppo and Greek orthodox Metropolitan Boulos Yaziji, of the diocese of the city, were negotiating the release of two priests Fr. Michel Kayyal (Armenian Catholic) and Fr. Maher Mahfouz (Greek-orthodox), seized in February and still in the hands of the kidnappers.

    These days all the churches in Aleppo, Catholic and Orthodox, are organizing prayer vigils and masses for the salvation of the two prelates, the first to be kidnapped in two years of civil war between the Bashar al-Assad regime and rebels.

    Greek-Melkite archbishop Jean Clement Jeanbart, has told AsiaNews that over 1,000 faithful participate every afternoon at vigils for Msgr. Ibrahim and Msgr. Yaziji in his cathedral and have been unsettled by recent conflicting reports of their release. "These people - he said - depend on the information of Western media, the only ones who still have credibility in our country." However, for the prelate many international agencies prefer to rely on information provided by outside agencies instead of checking the facts on the ground, where the population is still able to communicate with the outside.

    "For several months - he says - a dictatorship of" false information exists in Syria that creates confusion and false hopes. "" The Western media - the prelate continues - have a great responsibility cannot play with the lives and consciences of the people. There are men and women here who risk their lives to affirm and tell the truth and who will not stoop to bartering with religious groups or rebels or the regime. "For the bishop every Christian, especially if consecrated and a pastor, has the duty to witness to and follow the path of truth in this land troubled not only by bombs, but also by hatred fomented through the lies. (SC)

     

    e-mail this to a friend Printable version










    See also

    23/02/2016 17:01:00 SYRIA
    Islamic State frees last group of Assyrian Christians of Hassaké

    Confirmation in an official note of Acero, the Assyrian association that oversaw the negotiations for the release. Freed, for a fee, also the last 43 community members. To date there are more hostages in the hands of jihadists. In recent months three people had been executed.



    23/04/2013 SYRIA
    Two Orthodox Bishops abducted by an armed group on the road to Aleppo
    They are the Syriac Orthodox bishop of Aleppo, Msgr. Youhanna Ibrahim, and the Greek Orthodox Metropolitan of Aleppo and Iskenderun, Msgr. Boulos al-Yaziji. Their driver was killed on the outskirts of the city. State television accuses "terrorist groups", but the identity of the kidnappers is not clear. Some time ago, Msgr. Ibrahim had dennounced kidnappings and violence against Christians.

    14/10/2009 PHILIPPINES
    Mindanao Police: Fr. Sinnott in the hands of the MILF. But no confirmation so far
    For the police the Irish missionary was delivered to Latip Jamat, MILF leader in Lanao del Norte. But AsiaNews sources will not confirm this. Filipino bishops: we pray for the health of Fr. Sinnott and for his release. Columban Missionaries exclude the possibility of paying a ransom.

    29/04/2013 SYRIA
    Aleppo: two Orthodox bishops still captive, Christian neighbourhood shelled
    For Mgr Jeanbart, Greek Melkite bishop of Aleppo, "Catholic and Orthodox religious authorities are working for the release of the two prelates." Their abduction remains a mystery. Mortars devastate one of the city's main Christian neighbourhoods, killing four.

    26/04/2013 SYRIA - VATICAN
    No sign of Orthodox bishops' release, fears of political blackmail grow
    Sources tell AsiaNews they will believe in the release when they can see and talk to the two bishops. Delay is a sign that something went wrong. So far, Christians have not taken sides with either warring party. The pope calls for a political solution to the crisis. Western governments seek to arm the opposition. Accusations of nerve gas use could lead to US military intervention.



    Editor's choices

    CHINA - VATICAN
    Vatican silence over Shanghai’s Mgr Ma Daqin causing confusion and controversy

    Bernardo Cervellera

    For some, Mgr Ma’s blog post praising the Patriotic Association and acknowledging his mistakes is nothing but “dirt”. For others, he chose humiliation for the “sake of his diocese”. Many wonder why the Holy See has remained silent about the article’s content and the bishop’s persecution. Some suspect the Vatican views the episode in positive terms. Yet, the Ma Daqin affair raises a major question. Has Benedict XVI’s Letter to Chinese Catholics (which describes the Patriotic Association as “incompatible with Catholic doctrine”) been abolished? If it has, who did it? A journey of compromises without truth is full of risks.


    CHINA – VATICAN
    Mgr Ma Daqin: the text of his “confession”

    Mons. Taddeo Ma Daqin

    Four years after quitting the Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association, the bishop of Shanghai “admits” his faults on his blog, praising the organisation that controls the Church. We publish his article, almost in its entirety. Translation by AsiaNews.


    AsiaNews IS ALSO A MONTHLY!

    AsiaNews monthly magazine (in Italian) is free.
     

    SUBSCRIBE NOW

    News feed

    Canale RSScanale RSS 

    Add to Google









     

    IRAN 2016 Banner

    2003 © All rights reserved - AsiaNews C.F. e P.Iva: 00889190153 - GLACOM®