20 February 2018
AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook
Geographic areas




  • > Africa
  • > Central Asia
  •    - Kazakhstan
  •    - Kyrgyzstan
  •    - Tajikistan
  •    - Turkmenistan
  •    - Uzbekistan
  • > Europe
  • > Middle East
  • > Nord America
  • > North Asia
  • > South Asia
  • > South East Asia
  • > South West Asia
  • > Sud America
  • > East Asia


  • » 10/13/2007, 00.00

    TAJIKISTAN

    Three mosques demolished and others closed, the only synagogue also in danger



    Authorities say they demolished the mosques because they were “unauthorised” and for “architectural reasons”. But the faithful speak of attempts to impede the “expansion of Islam” outside the strict control of the Council of Ulema. The only synagogue also in danger.

    Dushanbe (AsiaNews/F18) – Three mosques demolished and others closed in Dushanbe. The faithful speak of attempts to impede the “expansion of Islam” outside the strict control of the Council of Ulema, but authorities say they demolished the mosques because they were “unauthorised” and for “architectural reasons”.  Hikmatullo Saifullozoda of the opposition party Islamic Revival (Irp) told Forum 18 that each of the three mosques demolished on 8 October could accommodate up to 100 worshippers and were generally full for Friday prayers. He said one of the mosques in the 102nd District was rebuilt, only to be pulled down a second time by the authorities on 17 September

    Saidbek Mahmudolloyev, the assistant to the head of the government's Religious Affairs Department has admitted that buildings used regularly for Muslim prayers have been demolished, because they “weren't registered at the Ministry of Justice as mosques and they spoiled the architecture of the city”. Haji Nematullo Ahmadzod, the assistant to the imam at one of the demolished mosques said that a group from the mosque went to Vasif Rustamov, the head of the city administration, to complain, but he refused to receive anyone about the issue. The mosque was built in 1992 before the nations civil war with money collected from people who attended for prayers, and had been active since then.

    Firuz Ilmosov, Rustamov’s deputy head, insists that the buildings were not mosques “Those places that were pulled down were used for religious purposes illegally”. Haji Nigmatullo Olimov, the deputy head of the Council of Ulems (theologians), insisted "those that were demolished were just one-room or small shabby buildings used for weddings, funerals and sometimes for prayer. The city authorities do not want people to be divided into small groups but attend larger mosques”. The Council has been insisting for some time, with government support, that all mosques be under their direct control.

     “The authorities – comments Saifullozoda – are afraid of the growing number of practicing Muslims and they use these methods to stop their expansion” and to get rid of “undesirable imams”.  He contests the Council of ulema authority (just another religious organisation) and reputes that the demolitions are indeed serious, because “they were carried out in the holy month of Ramadan”.  Irp parliamentarians protested the demolitions, even in TV, and now they are awaiting an “explanation” from the president and ultimate authorities.

    The authorities have long sought to limit the number of mosques. Back in March Dushanbe city Prosecutor's Office announced a crackdown on what it called "illegal" mosques. Its representative Ilyos Ortukov said that 13 of the 148 unregistered mosques in Dushanbe would be demolished, another 28 would be allowed to work after registering with authorities and the rest would be closed down.  But these initiatives have sparked fear in the city’s other religious minorities.  In February 2006 part of the century old Dushanbe synagogue was demolished, ahead of the building of a new presidential palace.  Protests saved the city’s only Synagogue, but there are fears that demolition will begin again.

     

    e-mail this to a friend Printable version










    See also

    24/06/2008 TAJIKISTAN
    Dushanbe’s old synagogue demolished to make way for a presidential palace
    A new complex complete with parks and fountain will be built, replacing an entire neighbourhood. About a thousand Jews are left in the country and they do not have the money to build a new synagogue.

    30/03/2009 TAJIKISTAN
    New synagogue of Dushanbe to open soon
    It will stand in a building given to the Jewish community by a rich banker. The old synagogue was demolished to build the new presidential palace. There is great fear in the country for religious freedom, especially for non-Islamic faiths, after the restrictive law promulgated last week.

    08/11/2017 15:49:00 TAJIKISTAN
    Dushanbe cracks down on extremism, dismisses foreign-trained imams

    Some clerics have been accused of spreading a strict version of Islam. The head of the country’s ulema council says he is willing to resign for the sake of its stability. Islamic radicalism remains a threat.



    07/02/2018 18:27:00 TAJIKISTAN
    Two thousand mosques converted into tearooms and cultural centres

    The mosques had not been authorised by the authorities. The latter also write imams’ sermons, and require the former to renew their permits on a regular basis. The government is trying to fight foreign influence and fundamentalism, but for one expert, it is running the risk of favouring extremism.



    02/04/2011 TAJIKISTAN
    Dushanbe, systematic violation of religious freedom and human rights by State
    Forum 18 news agency denounces the persecution, for years, of all religious activities not subject to rigid state control: demolished mosques and churches, banned religious groups, faithful arrested or fined. Even catechism for children prohibited.



    Editor's choices

    CHINA-VATICAN
    The tears of Chinese bishops. A portrait of Msgr. Zhuang, bishop of Shantou

    Padre Pietro

    A priest of the official Church, recalls the 88 year old bishop that the Vatican wants to replace with an illegitimate bishop, to please the regime. Mons. Zhuang Jianjian became an underground bishop at the behest of the Vatican in 2006. Card. Zen and Msgr. Zhuang, image of the faithful Church, "which provokes an immense sadness and a sense of impotence". The hopes of card. Parolin to console "the past and present sufferings of Chinese Catholics".


    CHINA - VATICAN - HONG KONG
    Card. Zen on the bishops of Shantou and Mindong

    Card. Joseph Zen

    The bishop emeritus of Hong Kong confirms the information published in recent days by AsiaNews and reveals details of his conversation with Pope Francis on these topics: "Do not create another Mindszenty case", the primate of Hungary whom the Vatican forced to leave the country, appointing a successor in Budapest, at the will of the communist government of the time. 


    AsiaNews IS ALSO A MONTHLY!

    AsiaNews monthly magazine (in Italian) is free.
     

    SUBSCRIBE NOW

    News feed

    Canale RSSRSS channel 









     

    IRAN 2016 Banner

    2003 © All rights reserved - AsiaNews C.F. e P.Iva: 00889190153 - GLACOM®