30 August, 2015 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile






mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato

e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 01/20/2012
EGYPT
Death penalty always unjust, even for Mubarak, Catholic Church says
Fr Rafik Greiche speaks about the death penalty request for Mubarak. According to the prosecution, he is responsible for the death of 850 people, gunned down during protests in January 2011. For days, hundreds of people have been demonstrating in Cairo, calling for the former strongman to be hanged.

Cairo (AsiaNews) – “The Egyptian Catholic Church, together with all other Christian denominations, is against the death penalty for any individual,” said Fr Rafik Greiche, spokesman for the Egyptian Catholic Church. He spoke to AsiaNews about the death penalty requested for former President Hosni Mubarak whose trial resumed last Monday after a two-week break.

“No one has the right to take the life of another man even if he is guilty of terrible crimes. Only God can do that,” Fr Greiche said. “Sadly, the death penalty is a normal thing for the Muslim mindset. Egyptian law calls for hanging in the most serious crimes.”

Still, there is no conviction yet for Egypt’s former strongman and it is too early to judge the situation.

For days, hundreds of people have been demonstrating in front of the Cairo courthouse where Mubarak is on trial, holding nooses and handcuffs, shouting slogans in favour of the death penalty for the former president who is charged with ordering a crackdown on protests in January 2011.

The crowd’s anger was further stoked when Farid al-Deeb, Mubarak’s defence lawyer, said in court that there is no evidence to show that he ordered security forces to open fire on protesters. According to al-Deeb, Mubarak had already handed over power to the military before the 28 January massacre in accordance with Law 183 of 1952. Only military leaders could give the order to fire, not the president.

For victims’ families, statements like this chip away at their hope for justice.

Yesterday, members of the Nour (Salafist) party urged relatives of the 850 people who died in the protest violence to demand the application of Sharia, which in this case calls for a “blood price” to be paid by the guilty party’s family.

Today, United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon urged Egyptian judges not to impose the death penalty. Interviewed by a British newspaper, he said that the United Nations voted in favour of resolution calling on member states to stop executions and new death penalty sentences. (S.C.)

e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
10/10/2011 EGYPT
Anti-Copt violence, consequence of 30 years of bad policies, said Catholic priest
02/11/2011 EGYPT
President Hosni Mubarak resigns
06/02/2012 EGYPT
Life imprisonment for former Egyptian President Mubarak, sons Gamal and Ala acquitted
03/08/2011 EGYPT
“Give us back our church,” Copts and Muslims tell Egyptian government
12/01/2011 EGYPT
Fr Greiche: Too early and misleading to comment election results

Editor's choices
LEBANON
Muslims defend Christians’ freedom in Beirut DeclarationFreedom of religion, education and opinion are defended by quoting the Qur’ān, which is the basis for the rule of law, not a religious state. Lebanese Sunnis slam violence committed in the name of God. The full declaration is reprinted here.
LEBANON
Islamic Makassed launch doctrinal battle against Muslim extremism
by Fady NounOfficial reference point for Lebanon’s Sunnis approves a document entitled "Beirut Declaration on Religious Freedom". Speculation over whether Dar el-Fatwa will succeed in gradually regaining control of Islamic religious teaching in the nation’s mosques.
HONG KONG – CHINA
For Card Zen, removing crosses in Zhejiang is an insult to the faith of CatholicsHong Kong’s bishop emeritus has come to the conclusion that the campaign to dismantle crosses and religious buildings is part of a broader, nation-wide strategy, and constitutes regression in terms of the mainland's religious policy. Catholics and Protestants in Hong Kong now fear that it might happen to them. In Zhejiang, another 15 religious buildings are slated for destruction by 1 September.

Dossier

Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.