24 November 2017
AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook
Geographic areas




  • > Africa
  • > Central Asia
  • > Europe
  • > Middle East
  • > Nord America
  • > North Asia
  • > South Asia
  • > South East Asia
  • > South West Asia
  • > Sud America
  • > East Asia


  • » 04/20/2017, 13.02

    INDIA

    Demolition of Babri Mosque: Supreme Court incriminates three Bjp leaders



    Lal Krishna Advani, Murali Manohar Joshi and Uma Bharti will be tried within four weeks. The sentence will be issued at most within two years. Former Chef Minister of Uttar Pradesh escapes court proceedings thanks to governor immunity. Ram Puniyani: "Hopes of Justice After 25 Years".

     

    New Delhi (AsiaNews) - The Supreme Court of India has decided that three prominent leaders of the Hindu nationalist party Bjp (Bharatiya Janata Party) will go to trial for conspiring to demolish the Babri mosque in Ayodhya (Uttar Pradesh).

    According to the judges, on December 6, 1992, Lal Krishna Advani (former vice premier), Murali Manohar Joshi and Uma Bharti (current Union Minister) incited a crowd of 150,000 Hindu radicals to destroy Babri Masjid because the mosque was on the remains of a temple dedicated to the god Ram. Speaking to AsiaNews, Ram Puniyani, president of the Center for Study and Secularism in Mumbai, says, "For 25 years no justice has been done. After a long delay, there is hope now. "

    According to Puniyani, so far the question "has never been tackled seriously." Moreover, the decision of the Supreme Court "decrees a situation that was evident from the beginning: the conspiracy of Hindu exponents, armed with heavy vehicles and ropes". This emerges from the fact that "volunteers had been formed before the demolition. Only those who had been formed were given permission to approach the mosque, while the leaders continued to pronounce provocative slogans that incited the destruction of the structure. "

    Supreme Court Judges P C Ghose and R F Nariman decided to transfer the case from Rae Bareli to Lucknow. This implies that the two cases - the conspiracy charge the Sangh leader and the mosque demolition by the so-called "karsevaks" (volunteers) - will be carried out simultaneously. The decision will speed up judicial proceedings, as the Court ordered the beginning of the trial within four weeks. The three defendants, together with other Hindu exponents and witnesses, will have to appear every day in the courtroom and the sentence will be issued in no more than two years. The only one who has escaped the proceedings for the time being is Kalyan Singh, at the time of the events, Chief State Minister of Uttar Pradesh and current Rajasthan governor, who enjoys immunity.

    The Babri Masjid story is emblematic of Hindu nationalist extremist politics. The story of the Babri Masjid is emblematic of the Hindu nationalists' political extremism. Built in 1528 in Ayodhya - which Indian tradition considers the birthplace of Ram (incarnation of the god Vishnu) - it has been the center of disputes between Muslims and Hindus for centuries. Called to Ayodhya for a symbolic ceremony to launch the construction of Hindu temple, on December 6, 1992 Sangh Parivar activists set upon the mosque, tearing down the three domes in less than three hours. The assault sparked violent clashes occurred throughout the country between Hindus and Muslims, leading to the death of at least 2,000 people.

    At the announcement of the Supreme Court's decision, Salman Soz, the spokesman for Congress, said Kalyan Singh and Uma Bharti should resign from their respective parliamentary posts. Conversely, members of the Bjp are gathering in support around their colleagues and complain that the allegations are unfounded.

    e-mail this to a friend Printable version










    See also

    09/06/2015 INDIA
    Neither temple nor mosque but a futuristic museum dedicated to Rama
    India’s Tourism minister announced that the museum would not be built on the site claimed by both Muslims and Hindus. However, Hindu nationalist BJP lawmakers have pledged to build a grand temple. In 1992, Sangh Parivar radicals razed to the ground the ancient Babri Mosque and built a temple dedicated to Rama.

    10/10/2017 10:13:00 INDIA
    Uttar Pradesh’s nationalist government to build a ‘grand statue’ of Ram in Ayodhya

    The project forsees a 100 meter-high monument on the banks of the Saryu River. It will cost around 25,5 million euros. The Chief Minister wants to boost religious tourism to Hindu worship sites in the State. The city of Ayodhya is the scene of a long disputes between Hindu and Muslim believers.



    01/04/2015 INDIA
    Indian Jesuit backs Supreme Court decision against leaders behind Babri Masjid demolition
    The highest court in the land issues notices to leading members of the ruling Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). The latter had been acquitted on charges of “criminal conspiracy” in connection with the violence of 6 December 1992 in Ayodhya. For Fr Cedric Prakash SJ, we need to “ensure that the generations to come will be able to live without fear in a free, tolerant and pluralistic India".

    22/09/2010 INDIA
    No to more violence over Ayodhya’s Babri Masjid, Hindu leader says
    Trepidation grows as the ruling on the Babri mosque demolition in Ayodhya approaches. A rising leader in the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party tries to reassure, saying that shared progress, not religious issues, is the goal.

    18/10/2013 INDIA
    1200 Hindu extremists arrested over plans for illegal demonstration in Ayodhya
    The police deployed 2 thousand agents in the area where the Babri Masjid ( mosque of Babar ) once stood, whose destruction 21 years ago sparked bloody clashes between Hindus and Muslims across India . The extremist group Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP ) today convoked an unauthorized demonstration to demand the reconstruction of the temple of Ram.



    Editor's choices

    ​MYANMAR - VATICAN
    “Hectic hours” before pope's arrival in Yangon, Catholics to help pilgrims

    Paolo Fossati

    Some 200,000 people are expected at the solemn Mass at Kyaikkasan Grounds, including Buddhist and Muslim leaders. Some 6,000 kids will take part in the Mass for young people the next day. Filipinos, Australians and Thais are also expected for Pope Francis’ apostolic journey. From our correspondent.


    YEMEN
    The genocide of Yemen:First bombs, now hunger, thirst and cholera

    Pierre Balanian

    The coalition led by Riyadh blocks the arrival of fuel needed to run the wells. Over a million people without water in Taiz, Saada, Hodeida, Sana'a and Al Bayda. According to UNICEF, 1.7 million children suffer from acute malnutrition”; 150,000 children are likely to die in the coming weeks. The silence and neglect of the international community. The threat of hitting crude-cargo ships. Yesterday, Saudi Arabia allowed the reopening of Sana'a airport and Hudayda port, but only for humanitarian aid. An insufficient measure.


    AsiaNews IS ALSO A MONTHLY!

    AsiaNews monthly magazine (in Italian) is free.
     

    SUBSCRIBE NOW

    News feed

    Canale RSScanale RSS 

    Add to Google









     

    IRAN 2016 Banner

    2003 © All rights reserved - AsiaNews C.F. e P.Iva: 00889190153 - GLACOM®