18 April, 2015 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile






mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 09/18/2012
CHINA
Hubei, a church burned. Catholics call for justice
by Jian Mei
The church - which can hold 100 people - had been rebuilt after its destruction under Mao. Suspicions point to construction companies who want to seize the village land. Local authorities indifferent to complaints.

Xiantao (AsiaNews) - A church in Caibang village, a suburb of Xiantao city (Hubei), was burnt down deliberately on Sept. 14, a Catholic source told AsiaNews. Parishioners, the source said, there grieved, demanded justice and called for religious freedom in China. Local Catholics call for prayers and concern for the case of violating their right of religious freedom, he said.

According newspaper Xinde Shijiazhuang (today's edition), quoting Father Li of Hanyang diocese, the Church community filed a complaint with the religious affairs and public security offices of the Hubei provincial government in order to defend the legal right of the Church.

Meanwhile, today, Catholics from other parts of the country responded online with indignation. Parish priest Father Zhang Wei posted pictures of the devastated church and a statement dated Sept. 15 online that gave an account of the incident and asked for justice for the Catholic community. The doors were dismantled deliberately.

On Sept. 15, Father Zhang and his parishioners reported the case to police of Xiantao city and demanded the government to conduct a thorough investigation into the arson and penalize those responsible for the damage of the church. The church, which could accommodate about 100 people, was nearly destroyed by fire and many furnishings of the community had been dismantled on purpose. The church was considered an oratory and was registered with the government.

"Catholics - said the AsiaNews source - are angry at the indifferent attitude of local government officials toward this tragedy."
"The parishioners reported to local police and officials who were not willing to help."

The church was built in 1993 with the help of Msgr. Zhang Boren of Hanyang, the local underground bishop. The site chosen was the same where the old church stood, before it was demolished under Mao in 1954. Bishop Zhang died in 2005 at the age of 90.

The church is located in a suburb of a new development site, where local authorities arranged for farmers to sell their lands to developers. Most of the farmers have been relocated except the church. According to AsiaNews sources, local Catholics suspect the arson is related to the relocation of the church property.

 


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
03/21/2012 CHINA
Tomb of underground priest destroyed: "Beijing even afraid of the dead"
by Wang Zhicheng
09/09/2008 INDIA
Orissa: no peace for Christians even in refugee camps
by Nirmala Carvalho
12/16/2004 CHINA
No more tickets to pay for midnight mass
05/23/2009 VATICAN - CHINA
Pope approves Compendium of his Letter to the Catholics of China
by Bernardo Cervellera
08/10/2004 POPE - LOURDES - CHINA
In spirit Chinese Catholics join pilgrim Pope in Lourdes

Editor's choices
VATICAN
Pope: on the persecution of Christians, the international community should "not stand by mute and inactive” and “look away”For the sixth time in a week, Pope Francis mentioned the martyrdom of Christians in today’s Regina Caeli (the Marian prayer at Easter), slamming the indifference of the international community towards this "alarming failure to protect basic human rights.” Today’s martyrs "are many, and we can say that they are more numerous than in the first centuries." In addition, “Faith in the resurrection of Jesus and the hope He has brought to us is the most beautiful gift that a Christian can and must offer his brothers and sisters. To one and all, therefore, do not tire of repeating: Christ is Risen!”
ASIA
Easter: The silence of the innocent and the gag
by Bernardo CervelleraViolations of religious freedom and the West's hypocricy surrounding this issue are likely to drag the world into an unprecedented chaos. But even in silence - of death accepted for love or death inflicted by power - God is at work. An indestructible hope rises on Easter morning and a small opening of the heart is just enough for it to invade a lifetime. Happy Easter.
IRAN
Time for a deal with Tehran, a reliable partner against the Islamic State group
by Bernardo Cervellera A framework agreement on the Iranian nuclear issue has to be inked by 31 March. US Republicans, Israel and Saudi Arabia are fiercely opposed to it for ulterior motives. Hassan Rouhani wants Iran to come back into the international fold. Tehran is playing a mediating role in the Middle East. For Vatican nuncio, “there is no evidence that Iran is preparing a nuclear bomb.”

Dossier

by Giulio Aleni / (a cura di) Gianni Criveller
pp. 176
Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.