3 September, 2014 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile





mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 06/21/2011
INDONESIA – SAUDI ARABIA
Indonesian woman beheaded in Saudi Arabia, Jakarta threatens to stop flow of migrants
by Mathias Hariyadi
A 54-year-old woman was beheaded last Saturday for killing her employer. The Indonesian Embassy was unaware of her trial because Saudi authorities failed to inform them. Indonesian public opinion reacts strongly to the incident.

Jakarta (AsiaNews) – Indonesian public opinion has reacted with indignation to reports that an Indonesian woman, Ruyati binti Satubi Saruna, 54, was beheaded in Saudi Arabia, after being convicted of murder. Many Indonesians blame their own government for not doing enough to protect Indonesian migrant workers, falling short of what the Filipino government was able to do.

In 2007, then Filipino President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo got personally involved in order to save the life of a Filipino domestic worker sentenced to death in Kuwait on 9 December 2007. Two years later to the day, the emir of Kuwait, Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah, promised that he would not sign the execution order against Marillou Ranario. The Filipino woman had been sentenced to death for killing her employer in 2005. Arroyo had flown to Kuwait to discuss the matter with the emir, and Ranario was thus spared the noose.

News about the beheading reached Indonesia last Saturday. It sent the country the signal that the Indonesian government was indifferent to the fate of its citizens abroad.

The execution raised tensions between Jakarta and Riyadh since the Indonesian government and its Embassy in Jeddah were not officially informed of Ruyati’s trial or the charges against her.

Ruyati binti Satubi Saruna was convicted for killing her employer, and sentenced to death by beheading despite a history of abuse and psychological problems.

Her body was buried in Saudi Arabia because under Saudi law the body of someone beheaded cannot be repatriated to his or her native land. This gave rise to strong emotional reactions in Indonesian public opinion.

Jakarta has reacted to the affair by recalling its ambassador in Saudi Arabia, Gatoy Abdullah Mansyur, for “further consultations”.

Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa also announced that his ministry was studying various measures in a response to the execution. Marty was criticised however because the Indonesia’s diplomatic envoy in Jeddah was unaware of the trial and was thus unable to provide Ruyati with legal assistance.

The foreign minister admitted that the Embassy was not aware of the case and that execution took place without Indonesian consent. “It is unacceptable that there was no official notification by Saudi authorities,” he said.

For his part, Indonesian Labour Minister Muhaimin Iskandar threatened to impose a moratorium on Indonesian workers going to Saudi Arabia.

“Yes, it would be better to have a moratorium,” presidential special assistant Heru Lelono said. “This absence of official information very seriously harmed the relationship between the two nations.”

e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
04/20/2012 SAUDI ARABIA
Sri Lanka woman accused of sorcery could be beheaded in Saudi Arabia
06/06/2013 SAUDI ARABIA
Not enough executioners for Saudi Arabia's death row inmates
10/10/2011 BANGLADESH – SAUDI ARABIA
Eight Bangladeshis publicly beheaded in Riyadh, five more at risk
06/24/2011 INDONESIA – SAUDI ARABIA
After Ruyati’s beheading, Jakarta stops migrants from going to Saudi Arabia
by Mathias Hariyadi
11/26/2009 SAUDI ARABIA
Riyadh: man to be decapitated for witchcraft

Editor's choices
IRAQ-ITALY
"Adopt a Christian from Mosul," the thanks of the Patriarch Louis Sako; the concerns of the Bishop of Kurdistan
by Bernardo CervelleraThe head of the Chaldean Church is grateful for the AsiaNews campaign and hopes that "this chain of solidarity will reach far and wide”. Helping refugees to remain in Iraq. But many want to flee abroad. The bishop of Amadiyah where thousands of displaced people have found haven in churches and homes: We also help the Arabs (Muslims), and Yazidis, for free and without looking at our confessional differences.
ITALY - IRAQ
"Adopt a Christian from Mosul" to respond directly to Iraq's emergencyAsiaNews is launching a fundraiser to support Christians targeted by the Islamic State, thus responding to a request by the Patriarch of Baghdad and Pope Francis's urgent appeal "to guarantee all necessary assistance - especially the most urgently needed aid - to the great multitude of people who have been driven from their homes, whose fate depends entirely on the solidarity of others." More than 100,000 people have been forced to flee their homes leaving everything behind and now have nothing to live on. To help them, five euros a day are enough. The funds raised will be sent to the Patriarchate of Baghdad, which will distribute them according to the needs of each family.
CHINA - VATICAN
Wenzhou bishop and priests slam government's campaign against crosses and churches in Zhejiang
by Eugenia ZhangFor Mgr Vincent Zhu Weifang, from the official Church, the campaign of destruction is increasing social instability. It is real persecution against the Christian faith. The bishop apologises for failing to intervene sooner. He was hoping that the campaign would end quickly. Catholics and Protestants suffer injuries as they attempt to defend their sacred buildings. For priests in Wenzhou, the campaign is unfair and touches buildings that have all the right papers. Such "stupid acts" by the government are undermining social harmony.

Dossier
by Giulio Aleni / (a cura di) Gianni Criveller
pp. 176
by Lazzarotto Angelo S.
pp. 528
by Bernardo Cervellera
pp. 240
Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.