4 August, 2015 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile






mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 05/24/2010
INDIA
Mangalore, survivor tells of air disaster
by Nirmala Carvalho
Joel D'Souza, 24, comes from a Catholic family. He thanks God for 'saving my life. " His mother: it is a "new Pentecost." Investigators are searching for the second part of the black box, which contains the flight information. The toll from the airline tragedy is of 158 dead and eight survivors.

Mumbai (AsiaNews) - This morning the team of the Director General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), with the help of local police, took over the search of the digital recorder of the Air India Express flight that crashed last May 22 at Mangalore - in Karnataka, southwest India - killing 158 people.

Late yesterday afternoon investigators recovered the cockpit voice recorder (CVR) and the black box containing the data acquisition Flight unit (DFDAU). In aviation jargon, the "black box" indicates the two components that store everything that happens during the flight, communications between pilots and between pilots and control tower. The finding will help clarify what happened shortly after landing when the pilot was unable to stop the plane - from Dubai – which veered off the runway.  

On board the aircraft there were 160 people, and six crew members. The toll from the tragedy is of 158 dead (including the entire crew) and only eight survivors.  AsiaNews spoke to Joel D'Souza, one of the eight survivors. Yesterday morning the young man attended his first session of therapy in hospital. The doctors asked the family not to ask questions relating to the accident, because "it could be traumatic for him."

Rosy, his mother, sits beside him and prays to God to console the families who lost loved ones in the air tragedy. Joel D'Souza thanks God for saving him. He was able to escape from the blazing carcass of the plane and suffered only minor injuries. "The plane broke in two - says the survivor - and a dense black smoke invaded the cabin. I jumped out through an opening in the window. Six other passengers followed me. We fled, with the help of the inhabitants of the nearby village".

The survivor - of the Catholic faith – says he “fell to his knees" and "thanked God" for "saving my life. So I called my brother in Dubai, who advised my mother that I had been saved. " Thank God, the man adds, "my mother knew I was safe before they heard the plane on which I travelled had crashed."

Joel, a 24-year old native of Vamanjur, a town near Mangalore, was returning from a month spent in Dubai with his sister after completing a course of study on computer aided design in mechanical engineering. "I was in seat 23 – he tells AsiaNews - and we had barely touched the ground when it seemed that the pilot lost control of the aircraft." He adds that "despite attempts by the pilot to stop the vehicle, it did not happen, the airplane crashed and the cabin was filled with a thick blanket of smoke. "Me and six others managed to escape - he confesses - and then we saw the plane break in two."

At the time he was admitted to Kmc Hospital Mangalore with minor burns, a broken right leg and spine injuries which are not serious. "These injuries are nothing - God saved my life and I will be forever grateful." Joel was born and raised in a family with deep Catholic faith: his sister Saira, brother Santosh and mother Rosy who are gathered around his bed, reciting the rosary in thanks to God for the miracle, tell AsiaNews: "This is a new Pentecost for our family from the reality of death, God has given us new life, we pray to be close to God. "

 


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
05/22/2010 INDIA
Planes crashes in Mangalore, Church sends condolences
by Nirmala Carvalho
11/25/2013 INDIA
Bishop of Karnataka : Our Catholics ' living witnesses ' of Year of Faith
by Nirmala Carvalho
11/20/2013 INDIA
Karnataka, thousands young people 'walk with Christ ' to celebrate the Year of Faith
03/31/2015 INDIA - TANZANIA
Diocese of Mangalore: school, catechism and solar panels for mission in Africa
04/24/2006 INDIA
Two new churches for Mother Teresa

Editor's choices
CHINA
Unofficial catholic community of Wenzhou speak out against forced demolition of Crosses, whole diocese fasting
by Joseph YuanAfter 90-year-old Bishop Vincent Zhu Weifang of Wenzhou led 26 priests of the open Church community to protest against the government’s act to demolish Crosses, Coadjutor Bishop James Shao Zhumin of Wenzhou also led his priests to issue an open statement “Strongly demand a halt to demolish Crosses on all churches.
CHINA
Wenzhou: 90-year-old bishop and 26 priests protest against cross demolitions
by Joseph YuanThis is not the first time that the old bishop and his priests speak out against the demolition campaign against crosses and churches, which has touched more than 400 buildings. During the protest, police tried to disperse the group, which sought to submit a petition. The faithful recite a Crown of the Divine Mercy is in support of the Chinese Church. In Lishui, churches are expected to be torn down by 31 August.
ISRAEL - IRAN
After nuclear deal, Israel ought to become Iran’s best ally
by Uri AvneryThis is the thesis of Uri Avnery, leader of Gush Shalom, a major supporter of peace between Israelis and Palestinians. According to the great statesman and peace activist, Iran only wants to be a regional power in the Islamic world, able to trade with everyone, inspired by a sophisticated experience that goes back thousands of years. Iran, which faces backward-looking Gulf monarchies and emirates, could be a great ally against Daesh. Meanwhile in Israel Netanyahu, politicians and the media continue to blunder.

Dossier

Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.