1 December, 2015 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile

mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato

e-mail this to a friend printable version

» 12/15/2011
Some 90,000 pilgrims are expected in the Holy Land over Christmas
Israel’s Ministry of Tourism announces measures to facilitate travel between Israel and the Palestinian Territories. Instability in neighbouring Arab countries causes a small drop in the number of arrivals in Bethlehem.

Bethlehem (AsiaNews) – A total of 90,000 tourists are expected to arrive in Israel over the Christmas holiday, this according to the Israel Ministry of Tourism, which has announced plans to provide free transportation for pilgrims travelling between Jerusalem and Bethlehem.

Palestinian Christians are caught up in the festive mood of the season, said Samir Qumsieh, director and journalist at Al-Mahed Nativity TV, a Catholic broadcaster in Bethlehem.

“Thousands of tourists have filled the streets of Bethlehem,” he told AsiaNew, “but fewer than last year, because of the instability in neighbouring Arab states.”

Residents are doing their best to welcome pilgrims and the Church of the Nativity is a beehive of activities in preparation for Midnight Mass on 24 December, Qumsieh explained.

Card Fouad Twal, Patriarch of Jerusalem, will celebrate the Mass. High ranking Palestinian officials, including President Mahmoud Abbas, will attend.

A few days ago, Bethlehem Deputy Mayor George Saadeh and representatives of the Jerusalem Patriarchate met to plan the traditional Christmas Eve procession through the streets of the city.

Last Sunday, more than 3,500 Christians and some Muslims were present at the lightening ceremony of the Christmas Tree in Nazareth. The same ceremony will take place in Bethlehem on Saturday.

According to Israeli Tourism Ministry data, in the first half of this year, 1.6 million tourists visited Israel, 60 per cent Christian. (S.C.)

e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
12/07/2004 PALESTINE
Palestinian Christians fear their country might become an Islamic state
Bethlehem Mayor urges help for Christians
Record number of pilgrims visits Bethlehem as thousands throng Manger Square for Mass
Pilgrims no longer limited to travel through Judea and Samaria
Holy Week, Israeli and Palestinian border restrictions impedes pilgrims

Editor's choices
Paris Massacre highlights the failure of Muslim integration in Europe
by Catherine FieldThe attack in the heart of France highlights the crisis of Europe’s model of coexistence. Social unrest, poverty and marginalisation feed youth extremism and radicalisation. A New Zealander journalist, expert on expertise in religion and interfaith dialogue, talks about it after undertaking a journey through the French Muslim world.
For Nîmes imam, Islam should not be held hostage by extremists
by Hochine DrouicheFrench imams condemn the Paris terrorist attacks and disassociate themselves from violence committed in "the name of our religion." At the same time, they ask Muslim communities to dare leading a life of dialogue and friendship with Europeans, without fear or arrogance. For centuries, Muslims have ruled out reason from their religious life. The vice president of French imams bears witness.
AsiaNews marks 12 years: Persecution and hope
by Bernardo CervelleraDespite a worldwide increase of ignorance, indifference and superficiality, many signs of love and hope resist even in the most gloomy situations: the Iraqi mother who gives birth to her child in a refugee camp and smiles even though she has nothing; the Indonesian Muslim mother who blesses her son who became a Christian and a priest; the Chinese Christian families that welcome children thrown away because of the one-child law.


Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.