04/17/2013, 00.00
ASIA-USA
Send to a friend

Third victim of Boston bombing is Chinese. Condolences from the Pope and Card. O'Malley

Family’s permission to disclose the victim’s identity still needed. The other two victims were an 8 year old boy and a young woman of 29. The authorities think that the bombs were pressure cookers full of shards of metal and nails, left in two bags on the ground. Several injuries have resulted in amputations. Pope Francis appeals to the city of Boston to stay united and "fight evil with good." The message of Card. O'Malley: In the darkness of the attack, one sees the light of Christ in those who immediately turned to help those in need.

Hong Kong (AsiaNews / Agencies) - The third victim killed in the Boston Marathon bombing is a young Chinese student at the city University. The other two are a child of eight years, Martin Richards, and a young woman of 29, Krystle Campbell, both natives of Boston.

Yesterday Pope Francis sent a telegram of condolence to the archbishop of the city, Card. Seán O'Malley, who had a message for his city.

Authorities are waiting for permission from China from the family of the third victim before revealing his identity. But Boston University has meanwhile confirmed that one of its students died in the attack. We know that the young man was from Shenyang (Liaoning), and had already graduated from Beijing Institute of Technology. The young man, along with two other Chinese friends was among the spectators at the race. Another of the trio was wounded: the student Danling Zhou, who is now in stable condition.

Martin, who a few months ago had made his first communion, died waiting for his father, Bill Richards, to cross the finish line. Martin was with his mother and his sister, both injured and in a serious condition.

Krystle Campbell worked as a restaurant manager. Her father issued a statement in which he says that the family is devastated by the pain. His friends remember her as a joyful girl with lively blue eyes.

Meanwhile, the authorities are investigating possible perpetrators and methods used for the attack April 15, where in addition to the three deaths, there are 170 injured, some very seriously. Initial results show that the two bombs were made from pressure cookers, filled with pieces of metal and splinters and nails. They were put into two bags and left on the ground. The doctors who treated the wounded confirm that they were hit by shrapnel and metal. A number of victims have had limbs amputated.

Yesterday Pope Francis sent a telegram to the Archbishop of Boston, Card. Sean O'Malley, in which he said he was "deeply grieved" and assured "his closeness and prayers to the people asking them to"be united in a resolve not to be overcome by evil, but to combat evil with good (cf. Rom 12:21), working together to build an ever more just, free and secure society for generations yet to come. "

O'Malley also issued a message to the people of Boston, promising " prayers and concern are with so many who experienced the trauma of these acts, most especially the loved ones of those who lives were lost and those who were injured, and the injured themselves".

"In the midst of the darkness of this tragedy - said the Cardinal - we turn to the light of Jesus Christ, the light that was evident in the lives of people who immediately turned to help those in need today. We stand in solidarity with our ecumenical and interfaith colleagues in the commitment to witness the greater power of good in our society and to work together for healing."

 

Send to a friend
Printable version
CLOSE X
See also
Boston, suspected attackers may have trained in Chechen Islamic school
20/04/2013
National Commission for Women asks for 'immediate action' in the nun rape case in Kerala
07/02/2019 17:28
From Asia solidarity, but also criticism of the United States after Boston Marathon attack
16/04/2013
Dorothy Lu Lingzi's dreams end at the Boston Marathon
18/04/2013
New initiatives announced by Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors
08/04/2019 15:13