1 August, 2015 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile






mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato
e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 06/14/2010
IRAN
More 900 people arrested in Tehran, Green Wave more mature than a year ago
Activists say 300 women are among the arrested. Uniformed and plainclothes police as well as revolutionary guards patrol the streets, intimidating people against demonstrating. University students engage in silent protest and hunger strike. Some protesters chant “death to the dictator”. Opposition leader Karroubi says, “The Green Movement today is stronger and more mature than last year”.

Tehran (AsiaNews/Agencies) – Iranian security forces last Saturday detained more than 900 people in the capital, including 300 women. Still, in spite of increased police presence, and the deployment of plainclothes agents and revolutionary guards (pasdaran), many members of the pro-democracy opposition took to the streets to mark the first anniversary of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s allegedly rigged re-election. Unlike last year, few protesters came out, but their action is a sign that the Green Wave is not completely over. In fact, for opposition leader Mehdi Karroubi, “The Green Movement today is stronger and more mature than last year”

Last Saturday, more than 900 people were arrested for marking the first anniversary of Ahmadinejad’s presidential victory with a protest, the Human Right Activists News Agency (HRANA) reported. Detained protesters included 300 women, and their relatives have not yet heard from them.

The authorities refused to authorise protests for the anniversary. They also sent threatening text messages that read: “Dear citizen, you have been deceived by foreign media and are operating for them. If you repeat this action you will be dealt with in accordance with Islamic penal law.”

Similarly, opposition leaders Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi urged people to keep a low profile to avoid further bloodshed.

Nevertheless, small-scale protests did take place in Tehran as well as provincial cities with people voicing their anger by shouting “death to dictator” and “God is great”.

At the University of Sistan and Baluchistan, about 1,000 students took part in a silent protest that included a hunger strike. Some clashes with police were also reported.

A journalist with Rooz online, who followed the demonstration in the capital, said that people used subtle forms of protest. “They would walk and laugh, angering the police, but at the same time not giving them an excuse to attack them,” he wrote. “The officers were extremely angry and frustrated.”

At the same time, activists have complained that the authorities have cracked down on jailed political prisoners, saying that families are no longer allowed to see them face to face or talk to them in private. Hereafter, they will only be able to communicate via telephone. For prison authorities , his will prevent the release of statements and declarations by political prisoners to the outside world.

Overall, Iran’s clerical regime has failed to silence completely the pro-democracy opposition. Speaking to CNN via e-mail, Mehdi Karroubi said, “The Green Movement today is stronger and more mature than last year.”

“From the way things appear, things have not improved because the political situation, the economy and international relations have been damaged,” Karroubi said. Nevertheless, “if we take a deeper look at the situation, Iranian society has made strides in the path of knowing their rights, and this is a great achievement.”


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
02/11/2010 IRAN
Appeal of the "Weeping Mothers " of Iran: free our children, arrest those who killed them
06/09/2009 IRAN
Enthusiasm and participation in Iran’s election for a new Head of State
06/16/2010 IRAN
Green wave “strong and alive”, Karroubi attacked, offices of Sanei and Montazeri swarmed
05/24/2010 IRAN
Tehran cracks down with violence and arrests on student demonstrations
02/12/2010 IRAN
For Washington and Paris, Iran not capable of making nuclear weapons

Editor's choices
CHINA
Unofficial catholic community of Wenzhou speak out against forced demolition of Crosses, whole diocese fasting
by Joseph YuanAfter 90-year-old Bishop Vincent Zhu Weifang of Wenzhou led 26 priests of the open Church community to protest against the government’s act to demolish Crosses, Coadjutor Bishop James Shao Zhumin of Wenzhou also led his priests to issue an open statement “Strongly demand a halt to demolish Crosses on all churches.
CHINA
Wenzhou: 90-year-old bishop and 26 priests protest against cross demolitions
by Joseph YuanThis is not the first time that the old bishop and his priests speak out against the demolition campaign against crosses and churches, which has touched more than 400 buildings. During the protest, police tried to disperse the group, which sought to submit a petition. The faithful recite a Crown of the Divine Mercy is in support of the Chinese Church. In Lishui, churches are expected to be torn down by 31 August.
ISRAEL - IRAN
After nuclear deal, Israel ought to become Iran’s best ally
by Uri AvneryThis is the thesis of Uri Avnery, leader of Gush Shalom, a major supporter of peace between Israelis and Palestinians. According to the great statesman and peace activist, Iran only wants to be a regional power in the Islamic world, able to trade with everyone, inspired by a sophisticated experience that goes back thousands of years. Iran, which faces backward-looking Gulf monarchies and emirates, could be a great ally against Daesh. Meanwhile in Israel Netanyahu, politicians and the media continue to blunder.

Dossier

Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.