29 August, 2015 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile






mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato

e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 12/11/2006
VATICAN
Saint Paul’s sarcophagus found
The Apostle’s tomb is discovered during excavations in the basilica near the vestiges of the ancient Constantinian building. Now the Pope will decide whether it will be open for public viewing or not.

Vatican City (AsiaNews) – It is “absolutely certain” that the sarcophagus found in the Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls in Rome contains the remains of St Paul. At a press conference releasing the findings of excavation work conducted in the church since 2002, Giorgio Filippi, from the Vatican Museums, announced that Vatican archaeologists are certain that the tomb uncovered was that of the saint. Card Andrea Cordero Lanza di Montezemolo, archpriest of the basilica, said that that it “was incontrovertible based on the historical tradition” that the basilica was built on top of the Apostle’s tomb.

“The monastery’s chronicle speaks about a big marble sarcophagus found during the rebuilding of the basilica after the 1823 fire in the Confession area, under two slabs on top of which the words ‘Paulo Apostolo Mart(yri)’ was engraved. However, unlike other sarcophagi found at that time, the saint’s tomb was not mentioned in the original excavation papers”.

The archaeological research in the area traditionally considered the apostle’s burial place began in 2002 and ended on September 22, 2006. It brought to light “important strata constituted by the abse of the Constantinian basilica built into the transept of what is known as the Three Emperors’ building. On the latter’s floor under the papal altar a big sarcophagus was found knowledge of which had been lost and which has been considered the tomb of St Paul since the times of Emperor Theodosius”.

Researchers were also able to measure the sarcophagus: 2.55 m (8 ft 5 in) long, 1.25 m (4 ft 2 in) wide, and 0.97 m (3 ft 2 in) high. The lid is 30 cm (1 ft) high and 12 cm (5 in) thick in its back edge. The visible section of the abse is the only evidence from the Constantinian basilica.

The sarcophagus has not been moved nor have all of its walled in sides been examined. They might still reveal other inscriptions.

It has still not been decided whether the sarcophagus will be on public view, the final decision ultimately falling to the Pope, and it is not yet known whether it contains any human remains or is a cenotaph, i.e. empty.


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
01/25/2008 VATICAN
Pope: Christian unity requires "all of our energy and efforts", but prayer above all
01/25/2010 VATICAN
Unity needed to announced the Gospel to a world marked by religious indifference, Pope says
01/25/2015 VATICAN
Pope: many Christians are persecuted and killed because they are Christians, regardless of their confession
10/31/2013 VATICAN
Pope: Every Christian must ask himself how he responds to the love of Jesus
02/22/2004 Vatican
Lent: a time for rediscovering unity of Church around Bishop of Rome

Editor's choices
LEBANON
Muslims defend Christians’ freedom in Beirut DeclarationFreedom of religion, education and opinion are defended by quoting the Qur’ān, which is the basis for the rule of law, not a religious state. Lebanese Sunnis slam violence committed in the name of God. The full declaration is reprinted here.
LEBANON
Islamic Makassed launch doctrinal battle against Muslim extremism
by Fady NounOfficial reference point for Lebanon’s Sunnis approves a document entitled "Beirut Declaration on Religious Freedom". Speculation over whether Dar el-Fatwa will succeed in gradually regaining control of Islamic religious teaching in the nation’s mosques.
HONG KONG – CHINA
For Card Zen, removing crosses in Zhejiang is an insult to the faith of CatholicsHong Kong’s bishop emeritus has come to the conclusion that the campaign to dismantle crosses and religious buildings is part of a broader, nation-wide strategy, and constitutes regression in terms of the mainland's religious policy. Catholics and Protestants in Hong Kong now fear that it might happen to them. In Zhejiang, another 15 religious buildings are slated for destruction by 1 September.

Dossier

Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.