28 August, 2015 AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook            

Help AsiaNews | About us | P.I.M.E. | | RssNewsletter | Mobile






mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato

e-mail this to a friend printable version


» 11/05/2013
SAUDI ARABIA - PHILIPPINES
Thousands of Filipino migrants treated "like animals" by Saudi authorities
More than 6,700 Filipino workers are detained across the country. The first who returned home tell stories of violence and abuses by police. On Sunday, Riyadh began its crackdown on undocumented immigrants. The step was supposed to begin last January but was suspended until now to allow workers to apply for amnesty.

Riyadh (AsiaNews/Agencies) - Filipino workers were treated like animals, locked in a cell for days with their feet shackled, this according to 30 Filipino migrants deported by the Saudi government after an after amnesty for undocumented foreigners ended on Sunday. The Filipino government estimates that at least 6,700 undocumented Filipino workers are held in prison in Jeddah and other cities of the Islamic country.

"They treated us like animals," said domestic helper Amor Roxas, 46, who talked about her ordeal after returning home with 29 other Filipinos. Saudi police rounded people up and placed them in a crowded cell for four days, she explained, without any possibility of outside assistance.

"Our feet were chained," added Yvonne Montefeo, 32. Saudi authorities, she said, shackled them fearing they might escape.

Migrante International, a support group for Filipino overseas workers, said 1,700 other workers are stranded in Jeddah waiting to be deported. An additional 5,000 are held in Riyadh, Al Khobar and Dammam.

The migrant rights organisation warned that Filipinos are in danger of violence and arbitrary detention by Saudi authorities.

Filipino Vice President Jejomar Binay, who is also presidential adviser on migrant affairs, last week appealed to the Saudi government to extend its deadline, noting that "thousands are still hoping to correct their employment status".

About 300,000 Filipinos work in Saudi Arabia, exploited and poorly paid, as well as victims of verbal and physical abuse because of their Christian faith.

Saudi Arabia's crackdown on undocumented workers began in January of this year, but was suspended for a few months to allow millions of migrant workers get a permit.

According to Filipino authorities, more than 4,000 Filipinos have been repatriated since the crackdown was announced.


e-mail this to a friend printable version

See also
06/05/2010 PHILIPPINES - SAUDI ARABIA
Filipino nurses in Riyadh against the centre of assistance to migrants: they have abandoned us
10/07/2010 PHILIPPINES - SAUDI ARABIA
Saudi Arabia: conditional release for 12 Filipinos accused of proselytizing
01/28/2010 PHILIPPINES – SAUDI ARABIA
Christian Filipino migrants forced to convert to Islam
by Santosh Digal
02/22/2010 PHILIPPINES - SAUDI ARABIA
Catholic migrant in Saudi Arabia: Three years without a day of rest and mass
by Santosh Digal
03/17/2012 SAUDI ARABIA - PHILIPPINES
Saudi Arabia, 70% of Filipino domestic workers suffer physical and psychological violence

Editor's choices
LEBANON
Muslims defend Christians’ freedom in Beirut DeclarationFreedom of religion, education and opinion are defended by quoting the Qur’ān, which is the basis for the rule of law, not a religious state. Lebanese Sunnis slam violence committed in the name of God. The full declaration is reprinted here.
LEBANON
Islamic Makassed launch doctrinal battle against Muslim extremism
by Fady NounOfficial reference point for Lebanon’s Sunnis approves a document entitled "Beirut Declaration on Religious Freedom". Speculation over whether Dar el-Fatwa will succeed in gradually regaining control of Islamic religious teaching in the nation’s mosques.
HONG KONG – CHINA
For Card Zen, removing crosses in Zhejiang is an insult to the faith of CatholicsHong Kong’s bishop emeritus has come to the conclusion that the campaign to dismantle crosses and religious buildings is part of a broader, nation-wide strategy, and constitutes regression in terms of the mainland's religious policy. Catholics and Protestants in Hong Kong now fear that it might happen to them. In Zhejiang, another 15 religious buildings are slated for destruction by 1 September.

Dossier

Copyright © 2003 AsiaNews C.F. 00889190153 All rights reserved. Content on this site is made available for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, republish, sell or otherwise distribute the content or any modified or altered versions of it without the express written permission of the editor. Photos on AsiaNews.it are largely taken from the internet and thus considered to be in the public domain. Anyone contrary to their publication need only contact the editorial office which will immediately proceed to remove the photos.